Tortugas Mount Another Comeback, Down Mets 6-5
DAYTONA, Fla. - One night after erasing a seven-run deficit, the Daytona Tortugas came from four runs back to defeat the St. Lucie Mets 6-5 on Tuesday at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.
Drew Mount crushed a two-out, two-run triple in the bottom of the sixth to turn a 5-4 deficit into a 6-5 lead for the home team.
Daytona relievers Julio Pinto and Dauri Moreta combined for four scoreless innings to close out the win. Moreta retired all six Mets he faced in the eighth and ninth.
The Mets entered the fifth inning down 1-0 but scored all five of their runs in the frame to take a 5-1 lead. Zach Ashford ripped a two-run single to put the Mets ahead 2-1. Matt Winaker hit a sac fly later in the inning to bring home Ashford for a 3-1 advantage. Manny Rodriguez capped the inning with two-run double to make it 5-1.
The Tortugas immediately began their charge in the bottom of the fifth. Andy Sugilio drove in a run on an error and Jose Garcia lifted a sac fly to cut the score to 5-3.
Hendrick Clementina lit a fire under the Tortugas and the home crowd with a long home run off of Mets starter Luc Rennie in the sixth to make it 5-4. Rennie was poised to get through the sixth with the lead, but a two-out error on Mets third baseman Blake Tiberi kept the inning alive for the Tortugas. Reliever Carlos Hernandez entered the game and surrendered the go-ahead triple to Mount on his first pitch.
Rennie took the loss. He was charged with six runs (three earned) over 5.2 innings.
Ashford went 4 for 5 with three singles, a double, two RBI, a run and a stolen base. It was his second start for St. Lucie after being called up from the GCL on Monday.
Rodriguez and Mitch Ghelfi had two hits apiece.
The loss was the 13th in a row suffered by the Mets, which sets a new franchise record.
The Mets (35-31, 67-65) will aim to end their frustrating losing skid when they meet the Tortugas (30-37, 65-67) again at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. First pitch is 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 27, 2019
- Clementina Clobbers Mets in Comeback, 6-5 - Daytona Tortugas
- Bats Heat up in Threshers' Win over Lakeland - Clearwater Threshers
- Starting Pitching Dominant in Doubleheader Sweep - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Charlotte Crawls Past Florida Late, 4-3 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Tortugas Mount Another Comeback, Down Mets 6-5 - St. Lucie Mets
- Cabbage Goes Deep, Miracle Split Twin Bill - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- August 27th Game against Tampa Postponed, Will be Made up as Doubleheader - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Tue, Aug 27 vs Florida - Charlotte Stone Crabs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.