Toronto Argonauts to Host You Can Play Night at BMO Field Tonight
The Toronto Argonauts will host their very own You Can Play Night when the team faces the Edmonton Eskimos at BMO Field tonight. The night will support You Can Play, a non-profit dedicated to all who participate in sports, including athletes, coaches and fans regardless of race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Toronto Argonauts fullback Declan Cross continues his role as the team's official You Can Play ambassador.
"I am proud to continue my role as the Toronto Argonauts' You Can Play ambassador for a second consecutive season," said Declan Cross. "Our football club and fans are all equal on the field, stands and homes, and we proudly welcome everyone to be a part of the Argos family."
Throughout the evening, Toronto Argonauts and BMO Field will feature numerous elements to celebrate diversity. Members of You Can Play will attend and participate in the coin toss, game ball presentation and "Pull Together" banner presentation during the evening's opening ceremonies. Before the game, all players will run out to rainbow-coloured smoke while rainbow pride flags will hang from BMO Field's North End Zone. During the game, a public service announcement featuring Toronto Argonauts players will be shown in-arena and shared on Toronto Argonauts digital and social media channels.
A You Can Play table will be set up in the concourse to raise awareness and distribute promotional materials to fans. All fans with game tickets will also receive free admission to the Canadian National Exhibition anytime on Friday, August 16.
"You Can Play is honored to team with the Toronto Argonauts in supporting welcoming places for all LGBTQ+ athletes, fans and allies," said Brian Kitts, co-founder and president of You Can Play. "The Argonauts, and ambassadors like Declan, send an important message, especially to young athletes and fans, that every fan is a great fan."
To help raise funds and awareness, limited edition You Can Play and Toronto Argonauts co-branded New Era hats will be available for purchase online, in-store and in-stadium at Real Sports Apparel, with 20 percent of proceeds on game day benefitting You Can Play's work within Canada.
For more information about You Can Play, visit youcanplayproject.org.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from August 16, 2019
- CFL and CFLPA Meet on Weather Protocol - CFL
- Toronto Argonauts to Host You Can Play Night at BMO Field Tonight - Toronto Argonauts
- #TryFootball: CFL and Physical and Health Education Canada Bring Football to Schools - CFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Argonauts Stories
- MLSe Names Teri Dennis-Davies New Senior Vice President, Equity, Inclusion and Diversity
- Statement from Argos GM Michael "Pinball" Clemons on the Cancellation of the 2020 CFL Season
- MLSE Community Food Donation Program Expands to Include BMO Field and BMO as Partners Team up to Help 'Bring Toronto Back to Its Feet'
- Argos Acquire Draft Rights to K Niko Difonte
- Toronto Argonauts Unveil 2020 Draft Class