Toronto Argonauts Sign National RB Darius Raso to One-Day Contract
The Toronto Argonauts announced Thursday that the football club has signed seven-year-old National running back Darius Raso to a one-day contract. Raso will attend team meetings in the morning to get acquainted with his new teammates before taking part in his first Double Blue practice in the afternoon at Lamport Stadium. Monday, September 1st will then see Raso play in his first Labour Day Classic vs the rival Hamilton Tiger-Cats from Tim Hortons Field.
"We are thrilled to add a player of Raso's stature to our roster," said Argonauts General Manager Jim Popp. "Raso's determination, strength and love for football and the Toronto Argonauts are an inspiration to us all and we know he will be a tremendous asset both in the locker room and on the field."
The running back has been suffering from acute lymphocytic leukemia for a year now, undergoing chemotherapy regularly and as recently as last week. Raso's love for football and the Toronto Argonauts has been instrumental during his fight with cancer. The Kleinburg, Ontario native attended the Argos game on August 1st, a win over the league-leading Winnipeg Blue Bombers, and has been following the team very closely, a welcome distraction from treatments. Raso is excited to get to work with his new team and make an immediate impact.
DARIUS RASO #7
Position: Running Back
Weight: 50 lbs
Birthdate: July 5, 2012
Birth Place: Kleinburg, Ontario
Acquired: Signed a one-day contract with Toronto on Thursday, August 28, 2019
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from August 29, 2019
- This Week in the CFL â?? Mark's Labour Day Weekend - CFL
- Stampeders Host Eskimos in Labour Day Classic - Calgary Stampeders
- Patrick Choudja Released - Calgary Stampeders
- Toronto Argonauts Sign National RB Darius Raso to One-Day Contract - Toronto Argonauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Argonauts Stories
- Toronto Argonauts Mourn the Passing of Former Owner and Canadian Football Hall of Famer David Braley
- Argo Players to Help Support the Daily Bread Food Bank's Thanksgiving Drive-Thru Saturday, October 10, 2020
- Argos Alden Darby Donates 100 Turkeys to Help Support Those in Need During Thanksgiving
- MLSe Names Teri Dennis-Davies New Senior Vice President, Equity, Inclusion and Diversity
- Statement from Argos GM Michael "Pinball" Clemons on the Cancellation of the 2020 CFL Season