Tomahawks Edge Black Bears
ODENTON, MD - In a close low-scoring affair, the Johnstown Tomahawks held a 1-0 lead against the Maryland Black Bears in a game that went down to the wire. Despite a valiant effort by the Black Bears, the Tomahawks completed the weekend sweep.
The lone goal came in the second period from Tomahawks' leading goal scorer Christian Gorscak. Gorscak converted on a breakaway for a 1-0 lead. The breakaway came off a Black Bears turnover in the neutral zone and Gorscak went off to the races and beat Maryland goalie Aaron Randazzo top left side.
The Black Bears were close to tying the game multiple times and even hit the post twice in the final frame; however, they were unable to solve Johnstown goalie Alex Tracy, who turned aside 49 shots for his third shutout of the season.
The Maryland Black Bears still hold the fourth spot in the East Division with 47 points, two ahead of the fifth-place team Jamestown Rebels. The top four teams in each division make the playoffs in the North American Hockey League. These two teams meet once again next weekend in Jamestown New York, with puck drop times at 7:05 PM ET Friday, March 13, and Saturday, March 14. The Black Bears return home March 20th for Billet Appreciation Night against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights.
The Maryland Black Bears is a Junior Hockey Team that competes in the North American Hockey League (NAHL). Our players, 16-20 years old, are vying for NCAA DI/III Scholarships. The Black Bears are the hometown hockey team of Central Maryland and play out of the Piney Orchard Ice Arena. The Maryland Black Bears play for more than just wins!
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from March 7, 2020
- First Step - Minot Minotauros
- Titans Hold on Late as Rebels Fall 2-1 - Jamestown Rebels
- IceRays Win 5-0 at New Mexico Saturday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bruins Complete Sweep of Steel, Take Saturday's Game 4-3 - Austin Bruins
- Tomahawks Edge Black Bears - Maryland Black Bears
- Pilots Drop Overtime Affair with Jackalopes - Topeka Pilots
- Wings Give up 4 Unanswered and Fall Friday at Bismarck - Aberdeen Wings
- Rebels Upend Titans 5-3 - New Jersey Titans
- Brown Bears Back in Win Column with Crucial Victory - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Bulls Fall Short in Comeback Push against Brown Bears - Amarillo Bulls
- Jackalopes Comeback 3-2 in Overtime to Open Shriner's Weekend - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays Tie Game in Third But Fall 4-3 at New Mexico - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maryland Black Bears Stories
- Maryland Black Bears Hire First Ever Female Junior Hockey Coach
- Nordiques Win Game Three to Sweep Black Bears
- Johnstown Forces Game Five with 4-2 Win
- Maryland Stuns Johnstown with Third Period Comeback to Take Game 3
- Black Bears Cap off Regular Season with Shootout Win over Generals