Bulls Fall Short in Comeback Push against Brown Bears
Soldonta, AK - A late push would not be enough, as the Amarillo Bulls fell 3-2 to the Kenai River Brown Bears.
Both teams started the game with a number of opportunities to find the back of the net, but neither earned the opening tally despite a powerplay opportunity for both.
Amarillo opened the scoring in the second period, as Niclas Puikkonen found the back of the net on a cross-ice feed from Gleb Murtazin. The lead would last for just eight seconds, as Logan Ritchie tied the game for the Brown Bears on a shorthanded goal. With time winding down in the period, Max Osborne gave the Brown Bears the 2-1 lead with a powerplay goal.
In the third period, Kenai River extended their lead, as Max Helgeson made the score 3-1. Late in the game, with the net empty, Amarillo score as Ty Black netted his 13th of the season.
"We need to do some soul searching," said Head Coach Rocky Russo. "That effort won't win us games like this, divisional games, and certainly not playoff games."
With the loss, the Bulls are now 39-9-2-3 with 83 points and are in second place in the South Division standings.
The Bulls remain to the road on Saturday, March 7, to take on the Kenai River Brown Bears. Mark Shelley will broadcast the game from the Spicy Mike's Bar-B-Q Broadcast Booth, and the action will begin at 10:30PM CST on Mixlr.com and Hockey TV.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from March 7, 2020
- First Step - Minot Minotauros
- Titans Hold on Late as Rebels Fall 2-1 - Jamestown Rebels
- IceRays Win 5-0 at New Mexico Saturday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bruins Complete Sweep of Steel, Take Saturday's Game 4-3 - Austin Bruins
- Tomahawks Edge Black Bears - Maryland Black Bears
- Pilots Drop Overtime Affair with Jackalopes - Topeka Pilots
- Wings Give up 4 Unanswered and Fall Friday at Bismarck - Aberdeen Wings
- Rebels Upend Titans 5-3 - New Jersey Titans
- Brown Bears Back in Win Column with Crucial Victory - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Bulls Fall Short in Comeback Push against Brown Bears - Amarillo Bulls
- Jackalopes Comeback 3-2 in Overtime to Open Shriner's Weekend - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays Tie Game in Third But Fall 4-3 at New Mexico - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.