IceRays Tie Game in Third But Fall 4-3 at New Mexico
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Just 57 seconds after Corpus Christi's Mac Wiseman tied the game midway through the third period, Tristan Rand tallied the game-winning goal as the New Mexico Ice Wolves defeated the Corpus Christi IceRays, 4-3, at Outpost Ice Arenas.
Hunter McDonald, Alberto Pison and Mac Wiseman each scored their first goal as a member of the IceRays (15-30-3-4, 37 pts.). Wiseman (1+1) and Stephen Kyrkostas (0+2) each recorded two points.
New Mexico grabbed an early lead when Philip Ekberg recorded his 10th goal of the season at 3:36. Spencer Rudrud then jammed in a power play goal at 14:27 to give the Ice Wolves a 2-0 lead. McDonald responded for the IceRays with a shot from the right point at 15:57 to record his first career NAHL goal. The Wolves regained a two-goal lead with 10.3 seconds left in the first period as Cooper Anderson connected off a cross-ice feed from Connor Kemp.
Pison got the IceRays back within a goal with the lone goal of the second period. His first career NAHL tally came off a pass from Ethan Benz at 10:32.
Wiseman tied the game with a power play goal assisted by Erik Bargholtz and Evan Carroll at 9:19 of the third period. But less than a minute later, Tristan Rand received a cross pass from Connor Kemp and recorded the game-deciding goal at 10:16.
The IceRays and Ice Wolves (13-33-2-3, 31 pts.) rematch Saturday night in Albuquerque with puck drop set for 8:00 p.m. CT (7:00 p.m. MT). IceRays games, home and away, are carried live on Sports Radio Corpus Christi 1230 AM-95.1 FM-96.1 FM (KSIX-AM/FM), mixlr.com/icerays and HockeyTV.
The IceRays' next home games are March 13-15 with a three-in-three weekend against the Odessa Jackalopes. IceRays tickets are on sale at the American Bank Center Box Office and all Ticketmaster outlets. For more information on the IceRays, or to purchase tickets, visit goicerays.com or call 361-814-PUCK (7825). Stay connected with the IceRays on Facebook (/CorpusChristiIceRays), Twitter (@goicerays) and Instagram (CorpusChristiIceRays).
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from March 7, 2020
- First Step - Minot Minotauros
- Titans Hold on Late as Rebels Fall 2-1 - Jamestown Rebels
- IceRays Win 5-0 at New Mexico Saturday - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bruins Complete Sweep of Steel, Take Saturday's Game 4-3 - Austin Bruins
- Tomahawks Edge Black Bears - Maryland Black Bears
- Pilots Drop Overtime Affair with Jackalopes - Topeka Pilots
- Wings Give up 4 Unanswered and Fall Friday at Bismarck - Aberdeen Wings
- Rebels Upend Titans 5-3 - New Jersey Titans
- Brown Bears Back in Win Column with Crucial Victory - Kenai River Brown Bears
- Bulls Fall Short in Comeback Push against Brown Bears - Amarillo Bulls
- Jackalopes Comeback 3-2 in Overtime to Open Shriner's Weekend - Odessa Jackalopes
- IceRays Tie Game in Third But Fall 4-3 at New Mexico - Corpus Christi IceRays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.