Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Community Initiatives in the Wake of COVID-19 Pandemic
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers and Thorns FC have announced today a number of community initiatives to assist staff members and individuals in our area affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Among the immediate initiatives undertaken by the Timbers and Thorns FC to assist our community include:
Peregrine Sports has created and funded a Stand Together Assistance Fund to help part-time staff get through this uncertain time. This fund will assist fan experience staff and merchandise staff, among others, by paying them for games missed due to cancelation. Details of the fund will be communicated to affected staff next week.
A monetary contribution to the Oregon Community Fund's Oregon COVID-19 Pooled Fund.
In partnership with Park Provisions, the donation of approximately 1,000 pounds of perishable food, bread, produce and other food items to Life UP, a non-profit focused on reducing hunger for low-income residents of Northwest and Downtown Portland.
Timber Joey to host virtual children's reading sessions to homebound schoolkids every Tuesday and Thursday. The sessions will be aired on YouTube, the Stand Together Instagram Live feed and both clubs' Facebook pages.
Delivery of gratitude packages to Providence healthcare workers.
Staff and their families to write notes and greeting cards to seniors who receive Meals on Wheels, and to healthcare workers to show our appreciation of their selfless efforts.
Through the Timbers' community outreach platform, Stand Together, the team is committed to furthering its community mission to harness the power of sport to improve the lives of children and families in the region through targeted programs, deep partnerships and philanthropic giving. For more on the Timbers community outreach programs and partners, visit http://www.timbers.com/stand-together.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from March 17, 2020
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Community Initiatives in the Wake of COVID-19 Pandemic - Portland Thorns FC
- RSL Foundation Joins with Levy Food Services and Utah Food Bank to Make Donation - Utah Royals FC
- A Message from Steve Baldwin - Washington Spirit
- Midfielder Shirley Cruz Signed for 2020 Season - OL Reign
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Thorns FC Stories
- Racing Louisville FC Select Rights to Midfielder Tobin Heath in NWSL Expansion Draft
- Thorns FC Exercise 2021 Contract Options on Six Players
- Thorns FC Defender Katherine Reynolds Announces Retirement
- Thorns FC Sign Defender Natalia Kuikka
- Thorns FC Acquire Midfielder Crystal Dunn