Timbers' Keel Earns Team Of The Week Honors
PORTLAND, Ore. - United Soccer Leagues announced today that Portland Timbers defender Stephen Keel was named to the USL First Division Team of the Week for Week 22. He scored the game-winning goal against the Austin Aztex on Monday.
Keel, 26, delivered the decisive goal in the 85th minute to lead the Timbers to a 1-0 road win over Austin. He tallied his first goal of the campaign, and his first since the 2006 season, on a follow-up shot from inside the box. Keel also aided in Portland's 13th shutout of the season.
The Littleton, Colo., native has played in 26 matches this season and has been a part of the Timbers' backline that has allowed a league-low 15 goals. It is Keel's third Team of the Week selection this season.
The first-place Timbers play host to a pair of games this weekend at PGE Park, starting Friday against the Aztex at 7 p.m. Portland then faces the Cleveland City Stars, led by former assistant coach Rod Underwood, on Sunday at 5 p.m. Tickets start at $11 and are available through the PGE Park box office, area Ticketmaster locations, online at www.ticketmaster.com or by phone at (800) 745-3000.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from September 9, 2009
- Late Goal Drops Whitecaps - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Byers' Late Goal Lifts Impact - Montreal Impact
- Timbers' Keel Earns Team Of The Week Honors - Portland Timbers
- City Stars Support NuRock Ownership Group During League Transition - Cleveland City Stars
- Week 22 USL-1 honors announced - USL-1
- Tickets For The Playoffs On Sale Friday - Montreal Impact
- Leo Inacio Named to the USL-1 Team of the Week - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- Dusty Hudock to undergo season-ending surgery - Charleston Battery
- Battery squares off with Blues - Charleston Battery
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.