Timbers' Danso Recalled for National Team Duty
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that defender Mamadou Danso has been recalled by The Gambia National Team for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Burkina Faso on Saturday, Oct. 9, in Burkina Faso.
As a result of his call-up, Danso, 27, will miss the first round of the USSF D-2 Pro League playoffs against the Vancouver Whitecaps. In preparation for the qualifier, Danso joined The Gambia National Team for a mini-camp in Belgium.
Danso joins The Gambia National Team for the second time in recent weeks. In early September, he experienced his first match with the national team for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Namibia.
The Timbers open postseason play in the first round Thursday in Vancouver against the Whitecaps in the first match of a two-game, aggregate-goal series. The series heads to Portland for Game 2 as the Timbers play host to the Whitecaps on Sunday at the University of Portland's Merlo Field at 6 p.m. Individual tickets for the first-round match are $15 and are available for purchase through local Ticketmaster outlets, online at www.ticketmaster.com or by phoning (800) 745-3000.
• Discuss this story on the U.S. Soccer Federation D-2 message board...
U.S. Soccer Federation D-2 Stories from October 6, 2010
- Stars, RailHawks Tie Playoff First Leg 0-0 - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Begins Playoffs with 2-0 Win - Montreal Impact
- RailHawks Tie Stars 0-0 in Opening Playoff Game - North Carolina FC
- Impact Repeat 2-0 Performance in Quarterfinal First Leg - Austin Aztex
- Timbers' Danso Recalled for National Team Duty - Portland Timbers
- FSN to Televise Thursday Timbers Playoff Game - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC and Timbers in Playoff Showdown - Vancouver Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.