Tierna Davidson Signs Contract with Chicago
CHICAGO -- The Chicago Red Stars announced today the signing of U.S. Women's National Team defender Tierna Davidson. Per team and league policy, terms of the contract were not announced.
The Red Stars selected Davidson with the first overall pick in the 2019 NWSL College Draft back in January.
Despite an injury cutting short her junior season at Stanford, Davidson established herself as a rising star well before the past season. Prior to her injury, she started in 12 games in 2018 for the U.S. WNT as a center back, leading the United States in minutes.
At Stanford, she helped lead the team to win the 2017 National Championship, while being named the College Cup's Most Oustanding Defensive Player. The accolades continue to pile up for Davidson in her sophomore campaign. She was named the 2017 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and earned a spot on the All-PAC 12 First Team, All-Pacific Region First Team, and was an All-American First-Team selection. She was the standout of a Stanford defense that set a program record with 19 shutouts, while only allowing nine goals in 25 games.
After being drafted by the Red Stars, Davidson rejoined the U.S. WNT as part of their SheBelieves Cup roster where she has started their last two games against Japan and England.
Hometown: Menlo Park, California
Date of Birth: September 19, 1998 (age 20)
College: Stanford University
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from March 11, 2019
- This Week at RSL - Utah Royals FC
- Tierna Davidson Signs Contract with Chicago - Chicago Red Stars
- Illinois Bone & Joint Returns as Official Medical Partner - Chicago Red Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Red Stars Stories
- Match Preview: Red Stars Face Portland in Home Opener
- Chicago Red Stars & NBC Sports Chicago Announce 2019 Broadcast Partnership
- Chicago Draws in North Carolina to Open the Season
- Red Stars Start Season on Road against Defending Champs
- Chicago Red Stars Announces 2019 NWSL Roster