ThunderBolts Beat Grizzlies on Alamo's Walk-Off
CRESTWOOD, IL - Tyler Alamo's walk-off double ended an 11-inning battle between the ThunderBolts and the Gateway Grizzlies at Ozinga Field Sunday night. It was the Bolts' second extra inning win this week.
Alamo started the scoring nine innings earlier when he hit his ninth home run of the year, a solo shot in the second inning.
That homer gave Hayden Shenefield an early cushion as he retired the first ten batters of the game. The Grizzlies (31-39) tied the score, though, in the fourth when Brent Sakurai doubled and Luke Lowery singled him in.
The Grizzlies added another run in the sixth inning as Connor Owings tripled and came in on a Luis Roman sacrifice fly, giving them their first lead of the game.
After Alamo's homer, the ThunderBolts (30-42) were held hitless for the next nine innings. But they got some help and tied the score in the eighth inning. The bases were loaded on an error and two walks before Chase Cockrell drew a base on balls to bring home the second run, forcing extra innings.
Neither team threatened in the tenth and Sean Leland pitched a 1-2-3 11th inning. That set the ThunderBolts up with the tiebreaker run at second base to start the bottom of the frame. Tanner Gardner singled, moving Brynn Martinez to third base and Alamo followed with a deep fly to centerfield that dropped for the game-winning double.
Leland (1-2) pitched two shutout innings for his first pro win and Geoff Bramblett (2-3) took the loss.
Hayden Shenefield allowed two runs in 5.1 innings and did not factor in the decision.
The ThunderBolts take two days off before returning to action on Wednesday at River City. The series opens with a doubleheader and Kenny Mathews (3-8, 4.12) will get the game one start. First pitch is scheduled for 5:05 and the radio broadcast can be heard on WXAV, 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Barrett Dazzles, But Grizzlies Fall in Extras - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts Beat Grizzlies on Alamo's Walk-Off - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Pitching Staff Solid in Shutout Loss at the Hands of the Freedom - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Rally Late to Sweep Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Fall in Extras, Swept by Miners - Evansville Otters
- Bats Push Slammers Past Boomers; Win 8-2 - Joliet Slammers
- Joliet Sweeps Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- No Sweep on Sunday - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Shutout in Finale - River City Rascals
- Freedom Split Double Dip with Wild Things - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.