Rascals Shutout in Finale
AVON, Ohio - The River City Rascals suffered their first shutout loss of the season on Sunday afternoon, dropping the series finale to the Lake Erie Crushers by a score of 1-0 at Sprenger Stadium. Jake Vieth drove in the only run of the game, on a lead-off homer in the fifth. The Rascals still earned the series victory after winning the first two games.
Rascals starter Taylor Ahearn (2-3) allowed just the one run on four hits in a complete game effort, striking out nine without issuing a walk over eight innings. Crushers starter Jared Koenig (6-1) went seven shutout innings, allowing four hits, two walks, and striking out six on the night. Crusher reliever Seth Lucio worked a perfect eighth while Logan Lombana retired the side in the ninth for his seventh save of the season.
The Rascals (40-33) have the next two days off, after completing a stretch of 14 games in 13 days. They return to O'Fallon for a doubleheader against the Windy City ThunderBolts at CarShield Field on Wednesday, with first pitch of the opener set for 5:05 p.m. CDT.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 4, 2019
- Barrett Dazzles, But Grizzlies Fall in Extras - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts Beat Grizzlies on Alamo's Walk-Off - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Pitching Staff Solid in Shutout Loss at the Hands of the Freedom - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Rally Late to Sweep Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
- Otters Fall in Extras, Swept by Miners - Evansville Otters
- Bats Push Slammers Past Boomers; Win 8-2 - Joliet Slammers
- Joliet Sweeps Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- No Sweep on Sunday - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Shutout in Finale - River City Rascals
- Freedom Split Double Dip with Wild Things - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.