Threshers Down Daytona
Phillies second baseman Cesar Hernandez matched a Florida State League record by drawing six walks in Clearwater's 13-4 victory over the Daytona Tortugas at Jackie Robinson Ballpark on Sunday night.
Clearwater's 13 runs and 13 walks drawn were a both a season-high, as the Threshers earned the series win over Daytona (35-53, 2-21). Hernandez finished 1-for-1 with six walks in his fourth rehab game, becoming the first FSL player to draw six free passes in a game since Stephen Aleschuk in 1966.
Cornelius Randolph walked twice and finished 1-for-4 to extend his on-base streak to 26 consecutive games.
Deivi Grullon and Jan Hernandez led the 12-hit attack with three apiece, backing a strong start from Jose Taveras (6-4). Taveras worked seven innings and permitted only two runs. He did not issue a walk, and picked up six strikeouts.
The Threshers (50-42, 12-10) leapt ahead in the second inning facing Jonathon Crawford (0-6). Jan Hernandez doubled and scored on the first of six errors committed by the Tortugas, which allowed Emmanuel Marrero to reach. Walks to Cesar Hernandez and Mark Laird loaded the bases, and Randolph drew another base on balls to score Marrero and make it 2-0.
After the Tortugas grabbed a run to cut the deficit in half in the bottom of the fourth, Clearwater began to pull away in the fifth.
Grullon singled and advanced two bases on wild pitches, and would score on a Jan Hernandez single to right. With two outs, Marrero and Cesar Hernandez both walked, and Laird reached on an error on first baseman James Vasquez which plated two more runs to make it 5-1.
Clearwater matched a season-high with six runs in the seventh inning to open up an 11-2 lead. Laird and Randolph each singled home a run, and two more Daytona errors piled on a total of four unearned runs in the frame. Jan Hernandez capped the rally with an RBI triple to center.
Wilson Garcia added a sac fly in the eighth, and Cesar Hernandez's infield hit scored Derek Campbell in the ninth to cap the 13-run effort.
The Threshers will go for the sweep on Monday, when Ranger Suarez (0-0) takes the hill opposed by Wyatt Strahan (0-3) at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from July 17, 2017
- Sixth Inning Surge Leads Mets to 7-3 Win - Fort Myers Miracle
- Mets Rally to Take Finale from Miracle - St. Lucie Mets
- Threshers Down Daytona - Clearwater Threshers
- Panas Powers Jays Past Marauders - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Miracle Jump out to Big Lead, Beat Mets 6-3 - St. Lucie Mets
- T-Yanks Rally Late to Win 4th-Straight - Tampa Yankees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clearwater Threshers Stories
- Diamond Outfitters Team Store Holiday Sale on through December 20
- Clearwater Threshers Announce New General Manager and Staff Promotions
- Clearwater Threshers 2019 Game Schedule Set
- Clearwater Threshers Recognized in Florida State League Awards
- 2018 Season Review