Three Points: Dash Travel to Take on North Carolina on ESPNNews
HOUSTON - Tonight, the Houston Dash will look to use the momentum from Friday's victory over Utah to earn their eighth win of the season against first-place North Carolina Courage tonight at 6:30 p.m. CDT in a nationally-televised affair at WakeMed Soccer Park.
This season, the Dash have been more effective on the road than at home, tallying 14 points away with a 4-3-2 record. The team will look to close the season series against the Courage on a positive note to step closer to the playoff line. A win tonight would give the Dash their first victory against the North Carolina team and break the club record for most road wins with five. The team is currently sitting six points shy of a spot in the playoffs with four games remaining on the schedule.
Houston Dash (7-4-9; 25 pts.) at North Carolina Courage (12-4-3; 40 pts.)
Tuesday, September 17 - 6:30 p.m. CDT
WakeMed Soccer Park - Cary, North Carolina
Here are three key points ahead of tonight's game:
TAKING ON LEAGUE LEADER - Historically, Houston has struggled against the Courage, having yet to find a victory against the North Carolina team. The Courage are known for their ability in the attack, led by forward Kristen Hamilton and Lynn Williams who together have racked up 20 goals this season. North Carolina is on a hot streak, having defeating the Portland Thorns and Orlando Pride by a combined score of 12-1. The Dash, having defeated Christen Press and Utah three nights ago, look to use their momentum to break the Courage's winning streak tonight and rack up points to move close to the playoff line.
MEWIS SHOWDOWN - The Courage's starting lineup features four members of the United States' FIFA World Cup winning side who have helped the Courage stay among the top contenders of the league. Sam Mewis, one of the four World Cup champions, will face Dash midfielder and sister Kristie Mewis tonight for the first time this season. Houston's midfielder has been one of the team's key attacking pieces this season, tallying three goals and two assists. One of the three goals was scored against the Courage on July 5 in the Courage's home field. Tonight, Houston's Mewis looks to build on her recent run of form against her younger sibling and the North Carolina team.
FINAL PLAYOFF PUSH - Houston's season has been full of competitive matchups, but that isn't reflected in the team's current place in the NWSL table. Out of the team's eight losses, six were decided by one goal. With Mewis, midfielder Sofia Huerta and forward Rachel Daly leading the pack, Dash will look to start collecting the points needed to reach a playoff spot tonight. Houston is six points shy of earning a spot in the playoffs and has four games left to play this season.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 17, 2019
- Dash Fall at North Carolina 1-0 on Late Penalty - Houston Dash
- Lynn Williams Voted NWSL Player of the Week - NWSL
- Three Points: Dash Travel to Take on North Carolina on ESPNNews - Houston Dash
- Lynn Williams Named NWSL Player of the Week - North Carolina Courage
- Utah Royals FC Faces Reign FC in Clash for Fourth Place - Utah Royals FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Dash FW Rachel Daly Called up by England for October Friendly vs. Germany
- Dash close NWSL Fall Series with 2-1 win over Orlando Pride
- Three Points: Dash Visit Orlando Pride for Final Match of 2020 Verizon Community Shield on Friday
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo and Dash Welcome Perennial Title Contenders to BBVA Stadium
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo and Dash Prepare for Doubleheader on Saturday