This Week at RSL
Real Salt Lake
Already with a playoff berth clinched, Real Salt Lake traveled north of the border for the regular season finale against Vancouver Whitecaps FC. MF Damir Kreilach scored a first-half goal and the defense stood strong behind five saves from GK Nick Rimando in his final MLS regular season match to seal a 1-0 victory. With the win, RSL closed out the regular season with two consecutive victories to climb to third in the Western Conference at 16-13-5 (53 points).
RSL will now host the Portland Timbers in Round 1 of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs on Saturday, October 19 at Rio Tinto Stadium. With a scheduled kickoff of 8 p.m. MT, the match will be broadcast live nationally on ESPNews.
In the meantime, RSL has 10 players away on international duty. MF Albert Rusnák is with Slovakia, FW Sam Johnson with Liberia, FW Jefferson Savarino with Venezuela, FW Corey Baird with the U.S., FW Douglas Martinez with Honduras for his first senior national team call-up and DF Justen Glad, DF Aaron Herrera, DF/FW Brooks Lennon, FW Sebastian Saucedo and GK David Ochoa with the U.S. U-23s. For a full schedule of RSL players on international duty, click here.
Utah Royals FC
Royals FC returns from an international break of its own for the 2019 regular season finale on Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. MT against the Houston Dash with tickets available at UtahRoyalsFC.com. Utah has been eliminated from playoff contention at 9-10-4 (31 points), currently sixth in the NWSL standings.
URFC had five players represent their countries on the international stage since the last match. The American trio of DF Kelley O'Hara, FW Christen Press and DF Becky Sauerbrunn wrapped up the Victory Tour, celebrating the United States win at the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup with two matches against South Korea. Sauerbrunn and Press appeared in both matches, while O'Hara did not see playing time due to injury, but was along for the celebrations. In Europe, MF Gunny Jónsdóttir joined up with Iceland to and started in two matches. The first served as a friendly against France and the second, against Latvia, was part of the team's continued efforts to qualify for the 2020 UEFA Women's Championship. Finally, MF Desiree Scott journeyed to Japan to partake in a friendly with Canada, playing all 90 minutes in the 4-0 loss to Japan. For more information on the international matches, click here.
All five players are slated to return for the final match of the regular season on Saturday.
Real Monarchs SLC
The Monarchs are sixth in the USL Championship Western Conference at 13-10-7 (46 points), with games in hand on all five teams above them in the standings. After having its Saturday match against Austin Bold FC postponed, the Monarchs return to Zions Bank Stadium on Wednesday to host Orange County FC before traveling to Arizona to face Phoenix Rising on Saturday.
The Monarchs are 3-1-0 in the last four matches and host three of the final four matches to close out the 2019 USL Championship regular season.
FW Lionel Etoundi has joined the Cameroon U-23s for camp, continuing a strong run for young Monarchs players on the international stage.
The Real Salt Lake Academy will kick off its 2020 Generation adidas Cup venture when its U-15 and U-17 sides visit Philadelphia for regional qualifiers this weekend. The Academy will join academies from Philadelphia Union, D.C. United, Inter Miami, New England Revolution, and New York Red Bulls in Group C of the Fall qualifiers.
Real Salt Lake Foundation and Orem City are set to open the new Homegrown Futsal Courts at Geneva Park, located at 260 N. 700 W. in Orem, the latest community renovation from the RSL Foundation and MLS W.O.R.K.S. The Homegrown Court's grand opening will take place promptly at 5:15p MT on Thursday, October 10, with RSL Owner Dell Loy Hansen, RSL Interim Head Coach Freddy Juarez and RSL FW Tate Schmitt scheduled to be in attendance.
In addition, MF Kyle Beckerman has been nominated for the 2019 MLS W.O.R.K.S. Humanitarian of the Year for his work providing power and light to homes on the Navajo reservation. For more information on Beckerman's efforts, click here. If you would like to make a donation to help bring power to these homes visit RSL.com/auction.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 8, 2019
- This Week at RSL - Real Salt Lake
- Match Between Tigres U.A.N.L. and Club Santos Laguna at BBVA Stadium Cancelled - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United Reaches Contract Extension with Miles Robinson - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club, City of Chicago and Chicago Park District Announce the Team's Return to Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Retires from Professional Soccer - Chicago Fire
- Orji Okwonkwo Named Impact Most Valuable Player - Montreal Impact
- Arriola, Moreno and Rodriguez on International Duty Ahead of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoff Match - D.C. United
- Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs: Top Seeds Earn Home-Field Advantage - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Announces 24 Players Protected in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft
- Real Salt Lake FW Julian Vazquez Invited to Mexico U-18 Camp
- Real Salt Lake Quartet Invited to U.S. U-23 National Team Camp
- Real Salt Lake FW Jefferson Savarino and MF Albert Rusnak Earn International Call-Ups
- Real Salt Lake FW Corey Baird Named to USMNT Pre-Camp Roster Ahead of CONCACAF Nations League Group Finale