'Tees Top Lakeland, 4-1
VIERA, Fla. - Working out of jams all night, the Brevard County Manatees stranded a season-best 16 opposing runners on base en route to a 4-1 win over the Lakeland Flying Tigers on Tuesday night at Space Coast Stadium.
The Flying Tigers broke through just once against the Manatees (28-34 second half, 65-64 overall) and starting pitcher Tyler Cravy (4-2, 2.08 ERA), as Lakeland (29-28, 59-66) scored an unearned run in the fifth inning.
Dean Green reached on a strikeout with a wild pitch and then advanced to second on a passed ball. From there, he scored on a ground-rule double from Steven Moya.
Cravy took a no-decision as he struck out seven men with just one walk in five innings, while yielding seven hits. With just the unearned run allowed, Cravy lowered his ERA to 1.29 in his nine starts this season.
Brevard County didn't get on the board until the sixth, when D'Vontrey Richardson scored the tying run after a reach on a one-out single. Yadiel Rivera then hit a ground-rule double to left and Nick Ramirez's single to center would end up scoring Richardson.
An inning later, T.J. Mittelstaedt drew a two-out walk and then scored from first on Ben McMahan's double to left.
Matt Miller was credited with the win as he allowed two hits and three walks in two innings of work. Tommy Toledo picked up a six-out save and allowed just one hit to earn his 19th save of the year.
Cameron Garfield provided a two-run double in the eighth to pad the lead, scoring Ramirez and Mitch Haniger.
Ramirez was the only Manatee with multiple hits, though eight of the nine men in the lineup hit safely.
The final game of the season series between Brevard County and Lakeland is scheduled to get under way at 6:35 p.m. on Wednesday. Damien Magnifico (0-2, 5.70) will make the start for the Manatees against Tommy Collier (3-3, 4.42) for the Flying Tigers.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 27, 2013
- Cubs Throw Second No-Hitter of the Season, Sweep Doubleheader - Daytona Tortugas
- 'Tees Top Lakeland, 4-1 - Brevard County Manatees
- Jupiter Eliminated From Playoff Race in 3-2 Loss - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Cardinals Sweep Doubleheader with Miracle, 5-4 and 1-0 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Salute to Boy Bands and Fan Appreciation Night Promise to Make Final 2013 Home Stand Memorable - Bradenton Marauders
- Flying Tigers Return Home Friday for Final Games of Season - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Threshers Topped 8-5 by Yankees Monday - Clearwater Threshers
- Brevard Falls Short to Lakeland in Doubleheader Finale - Brevard County Manatees
- Flying Tigers Outlast Manatees in Twinbill Opener - Brevard County Manatees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.