Suns Blast BayBears
Mobile, Ala. - A.J. Ellis, Juan Gonzalez and Blake DeWitt all connected on homeruns while James McDonald pitched six solid innings leading the Jacksonville Suns (78-54, 37-25) to a 7-2 Sunday victory over the Mobile BayBears (67-65, 30-32) in front of 6,231 at Hank Aaron Stadium.
Combined with Montgomery's win against Carolina the Suns remain two games out of first place with eight games remaining. The Suns and Biscuits meet for five games to end the regular season beginning Friday at the Baseball Grounds.
Jacksonville opened the scoring in the first inning against Mobile starter Esmerling Vasquez. The right-hander dealt a two-out walk while A.J. Ellis next belted a two-run homerun over the right-centerfield wall for a 2-0 lead.
Mobile took advantage of a Jacksonville mistake in the bottom of the first inning when a two-out Cory Dunlap error allowed Chris Rahl to score, cutting the Suns lead to 2-1. The run was unearned to starter James McDonald. In the third inning Mobile's Wilkin Castillo belted a two-out solo homerun, his sixth of the season, tying the game at 2-2.
The Suns regained the lead in the fourth inning against Vasquez after he hit the first two batters of the inning before walking the third to load the bases. Following a strikeout James Tomlin smashed a fly ball to right field for a sacrifice, opening a 3-2 lead.
Jacksonville's lead remained at one with both starters exiting. McDonald lasted six innings with two runs, one earned, on seven hits with four strikeouts. Vasquez pitched seven innings with three runs on four hits with two walks and five strikeouts.
The Suns pulled away in the ninth inning with a four run frame including a three-run homerun from Juan Gonzalez and solo homerun from Blake DeWitt to end the scoring at 7-2.
McDonald (7-2) picked up the win while Vasquez (10-5) fell in the loss for Mobile.
The Suns and BayBears meet in game three of the series Monday at 8:05 p.m. ET. Suns RH Justin Orenduff will face BayBears RH Max Scherzer. Fans can follow the action in Jacksonville on AM 930 The Fox or online at jaxsuns.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 26, 2007
- Biscuits win record eighth straight with 4-0 shutout of Mudcats - Montgomery Biscuits
- BayBears' loss ends streak - Mobile BayBears
- Suns Blast BayBears - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Smokies Woes Continue Agaisnt Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Braves Take Game Two - Mississippi Braves
- Riggs heads to inactive list - Carolina Mudcats
- Hughes placed on DL - Montgomery Biscuits
- Mudcats offense shut down - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Shrimp & Suds Craft Beer Festival Set for Saturday
- Jumbo Shrimp Nominated for SBJ "Sports Breakthrough of the Year"
- Jumbo Shrimp Ballpark Job Fairs Saturday & Tuesday
- Jumbo Shrimp, Community First Credit Union Preview 2018 Season
- Sports Complex Traffic and Parking Advisory for March 9-10, 2018