Sugar Skulls Week 3 Game Notes
With two franchise-opening victories under their belts, the Tucson Sugar Skulls will face their toughest task of the season when they visit the perennial league power Arizona Rattlers in Phoenix on Saturday at 5 p.m. It will be the first of four meetings this season between the in-state rivals.
The Skulls topped the 60-point mark in victories over San Diego and Bismarck but now face the league's second-stingiest defense and a Rattlers offense that put 81 points on the board two weeks ago against the Cedar Rapids River Kings.
The Rattlers also have the league's second-ranked offense in total yards, but it's the Sugar Skulls who are first in the league in total offense and total defense.
Quarterback Matt Behrendt is coming off an impressive week in which he threw a league-high eight touchdown passes and was named IFL Offensive Player of the Week. Behrendt completed 19 of 25 passes for 234 yards in the game. Behrendt and the Sugar Skulls' other quarterback on the roster, Jake Medlock, have combined for 13 touchdowns and have not thrown an interception. Behrendt's award comes one week after Dee Maggitt Jr. was named Defensive Player of the Week in the Sugar Skulls opener.
Defensively, the Sugar Skulls have allowed an average of 200.5 yards per game with linebacker Zach Allen leading the league with a total of 21 tackles. The team has forced four turnovers and recorded three sacks.
Notes & Numbers
- The Rattlers are coming off a bye after winning their first two game by an average margin of victory of 37 points.
- The Rattlers were founded as an expansion team in 1992 in the Arena Football League. They joined the IFL for the 2017 season and won the United Bowl in their first season.
- Two Sugar Skulls players who made their season debuts last week made their impact known. Running back Shad Thornton accounted for 113 yards of total offense, 82 of those rushing. He had a rushing and a receiving touchdown. Defensive back Micah Eugene Jr. had seven total tackles with four of those solo.
- In addition to his passing stats, Behrendt is fourth in the league in rushing, averaging 50.5 yards per game. He has one rushing touchdown.
- Brandon Sampson leads the wide receivers with 11 catches and 143 yards in two games. He has three touchdowns, while Shaq Curenton leads the team with five touchdown catches.
Images from this story
Tucson Sugar Skulls quarterback Matt Behrendt lets go of a pass in the team's home opener last week
• Discuss this story on the Indoor Football League message board...
Indoor Football League Stories from March 15, 2019
- River Kings Fall to Steamwheelers 58-36 - Cedar Rapids River Kings
- Sugar Skulls Week 3 Game Notes - Tucson Sugar Skulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.