Strong Pitching and Fourth Inning Rally Propel Twins to 3-1 Win over Reds
ELIZABETHTON, TN - After the Elizabethton Twins' first shutout win of the season Monday, the team's strong pitching continued into Tuesday, as the Greeneville Reds were held to one run and six hits and the Twins came out on top 3-1.
Brent Headrick started and pitched two scoreless innings, striking out one in his second start of the year. Ryan Shreve followed with four innings of one-run ball with six strikeouts, then Denny Bentley and Tyler Beck combined for three scoreless innings with five strikeouts.
Shreve picked up his second win of the season, allowing a solo home run in the third, while Beck recorded his first save of the year.
Elizabethton's scoring started early, when Ruben Santana led off the bottom of the first with or his first pro home run, a solo shot down the right field line. After the Reds tied it in the third, the Twins added two more runs on three hits in the fourth. Seth Gray doubled with one out, then Max Smith doubled him in with two outs and Trevor Jensen singled home Smith for two critical insurance runs.
Elizabethton held its two-run advantage for the remainder of the game and while Greeneville put the tying run on base in the ninth inning, Tyler Beck struck out three to secure the save.
Back at .500, the E-Twins looks to sweep the G-Reds in the regular season finale. A win would make 2019 the 31st consecutive season with a record of .500 or better. If the Twins win and the Bristol Pirates lose to the Danville Braves, the Twins would continue their season into the Appalachian League playoffs.
For tickets and more information, visit elizabethtontwins.com.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Three Homers Propel Cards to West Division Crown - Johnson City Cardinals
- Strong Pitching and Fourth Inning Rally Propel Twins to 3-1 Win over Reds - Elizabethton Twins
- E-Twins 2019 Season Ends with 7-3 Loss to Greeneville - Elizabethton Twins
- Kingsport's Season Comes to End on Historic Final Day - Kingsport Mets
- Bristol Pirates Issue Statement on Blake Bivens - Bristol Pirates
- Pulaski Yankees Set Single-Season Attendance Record - Pulaski Yankees
- Loss Forces Must-Win - Bristol Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Elizabethton Twins Stories
- Elizabethton Baseball Club Releases 2021 Schedule
- Twins Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Laweryson Strikes out 15 in 1-0 Victory over Greeneville
- Strong Pitching and Fourth Inning Rally Propel Twins to 3-1 Win over Reds
- E-Twins 2019 Season Ends with 7-3 Loss to Greeneville