Sting's Ben Gaudreau Named OHL Goaltender of the Week
Toronto, Ont. - The Ontario Hockey League today announced that San Jose Sharks prospect Ben Gaudreau of the Sarnia Sting is the OHL Goaltender of the Week with a record of 2-0-1-0, a 1.97 goals-against average, .942 save percentage and one shutout.
Gaudreau stopped 97 of the 103 shots he faced to help the Sting continue to reverse a slow start to the season. He earned first star honours with 36 saves on Tuesday as Sarnia defeated the CHL's third-ranked London Knights 4-2 on home ice. Gaudreau was back in the crease on Saturday in Guelph, helping the Sting earn a point despite being outshot with 35 saves in a 4-3 overtime loss to the Storm. He logged another first star performance on Sunday, earning his first career OHL shutout with 26 saves as the Sting blanked the visiting Owen Sound Attack 4-0.
An 18-year-old native of Corbeil, Ont., Gaudreau owns a 5-2-3-0 record with a 2.98 goals-against average, .912 save percentage and one shutout through 10 games this season. The 6-foot-2, 172Ib. third round (81st overall) pick of the San Jose Sharks this past summer starred for Canada's gold medal-winning National Under-18 Team this past May in Frisco, Texas. He was Sarnia's first round (7th overall) pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection, the highest-selected goaltender in Sting franchise history.
Also considered for the award this week were a pair of recent award recipients in Roman Basran of the Mississauga Steelheads and Montreal Canadiens prospect Joe Vrbetic of the North Bay Battalion. Basran went 2-0-0-0 with a 1.00 goals-against average and .964 save percentage including a shutout as the Steelheads continued their hot streak. Last week's Goaltender of the Week, Vrbetic was also 2-0-0-0, posting a 1.50 goals-against average and .939 save percentage with one shutout, carrying over a shutout streak that concluded at a length of 203 minutes and four seconds in a win on Sunday.
2021-22 OHL Goaltenders of the Week - Regular Season:
Nov. 15 - Nov. 21: Ben Gaudreau (Sarnia Sting)
Nov. 8 - Nov. 14: Joe Vrbetic (North Bay Battalion
Nov. 1 - Nov. 7: Roman Basran (Mississauga Steelheads)
Oct. 25 - Oct. 31: Patrick Leaver (Oshawa Generals)
Oct. 18 - Oct. 24: Jacob Oster (Guelph Storm)
Oct. 11 - Oct. 17: Brett Brochu (London Knights)
Oct. 4 - Oct. 10: Tucker Tynan (Niagara IceDogs)
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 22, 2021
- Colts to Honour Long Time Coach Dale Hawerchuk with Special Game Night - Barrie Colts
- Coe Is Player of the Week - North Bay Battalion
- 23rd Annual Teddy Bear Toss Coming December 19th - Oshawa Generals
- Sting's Ben Gaudreau Named OHL Goaltender of the Week - Sarnia Sting
- Details Released for Coca-Cola Canada Holiday Truck Tour - Peterborough Petes
- Wolves Host Steelheads & Colts in Three Game Homestand this Week - Sudbury Wolves
- Attack Hunger Campaign Returns to Bayshore, December 4th - Owen Sound Attack
- Spitfires Honour Glenn Hall with Banner Raising Ceremony - Windsor Spitfires
- Portokalis Named Week 7 Huron Tractor Player of the Week - Owen Sound Attack
- Coe and Gaudreau Named OHL Top Performers of the Week - OHL
- Hamilton Bulldogs Sign Noah Roberts - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolves Partner with All Nations Church for Mountain of Mittens - Sudbury Wolves
- Petes Open Applications for Next Generation Game on November 28 - Peterborough Petes
- Generals Snap Losing Streak with Win against Frontenacs - Oshawa Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sarnia Sting Stories
- 2022-23 Season Tickets on Sale Tuesday
- Sting Welcome 16 Prospects After Completing the 2022 OHL Priority Selection
- Sting Complete Day One of the 2022 OHL Priority Selection
- Sting & Spitfires Set to Battle in Round One of the Playoffs Presented by Needhams & Southwest Marine
- Sting Launch Community Fund - Sting Assists