Stellar Strikes: Duke Lacroix
Freshly signed Republic FC defender Duke Lacroix brings the energy from the back line all the way through the attack. Not only is he a stand out on D - noted as one of the 10 Defenders to Watch in 2020 - he knows how to find the back of the net.
Lacroix - who joined the boys in Old Glory Red last week - played up front for Indy Eleven where he won the 2016 NASL Goal of the Year award before signing for Orange County SC as a striker. It wasn't until he was with Reno 1868 FC where he flourished as a fullback.
Now, the versatile defender will fight for a spot on the SRFC backline but that doesn't mean he won't contribute offensively. To see what Republic FC fans have in store for them this season, it's time to take a look at some of the defender's stellar strikers from over his professional career.
Lacroix was served a perfect ball into the box while playing for OCSC and the Indomitable Club's newest signing did everything but fluff his lines as the former forward steered a shot by the hosts to give his side a 1-0 lead. He was fully aware of where he was on the pitch, where the goalkeeper was, and what he needed to do to break the deadlock in Nevada.
He didn't score just once against Reno 1868 FC in a March 2017 match, but Lacroix bagged a brace and his saved the best for last. Duke beat his defender and as reinforcements came to assist, he slammed his shot off the far post and into the back of the net to double his sides' lead.
The highlight reel starts with a number of clips of Lacroix creating offensive opportunities for his side and collecting a slew of assists. But once the goal scoring starts around the 1:25 mark, it's a lovely reminder of all the qualities Lacroix brings with him to the boys in Old Glory Red. His 2018 goal he created all by himself by sneaking his shot past the opposing goalkeeper from close range after surging into the box with possession.
Lacroix might be lining up as a defender during the 2021 USL Championship campaign, but the versatile threat will surely do his part in adding to an already potent SRFC attack.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 18, 2020
- Day 9: RGV FC at Habitat for Humanity - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Stellar Strikes: Duke Lacroix - Sacramento Republic FC
- Around the Leagues: Festive Soccer Schedule About to Enter Full Swing - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC Re-Sign Dariusz Formella - Sacramento Republic FC
- 'A Chance to Do a Bit of Good'; LouCity Players Give to Refugee Toy Drive - Louisville City FC
- Real Monarchs Add New Zealand Forward Max Mata - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder Cam Lindley - San Antonio FC
- Orange County SC Signs Former Finland U-21 International Mikko Kuningas - Orange County SC
- Alfonso Vazquez Returning to Hartford in 2021 - Hartford Athletic
- New Mexico United Signs Ilija Ilic - New Mexico United
- GE Appliances Extends LouCity Agreement, Expands Support for Soccer - Louisville City FC
- Philadelphia Union II Announce Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 Season - Philadelphia Union II
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- SRFC Training Camp Notebook: Week 5
- Republic FC Bolsters Health & Wellness Safeguards, Enlists VenueNext to Create Enhanced Mobile-Powered Stadium Experience
- Republic FC's Flag Unveiled in the USL Championship's Culture Collection
- Fatai Alashe Named One of the USL's Top Defensive Midfielders
- Around the Leagues: The Return of MLS and Major Matchups Across the Globe