Republic FC Re-Sign Dariusz Formella
Sacramento, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC announced today the club has reached an agreement with Dariusz Formella, re-signing the attacking player pending league and federation approval. Per club policy, the terms of the contract were not disclosed.
2021 will mark his third season with Republic FC. In July 2019, Formella signed in Sacramento after seven seasons in Poland's top division. In 27 career matches for the boys in Old Glory Red, 'Darek' has scored 10 goals and contributed two assists.
"Darek's offensive versatility and his overall quality were just two of the many reasons why we're so excited to bring him back," Republic FC General Manager Todd Dunivant said. "We can't wait to see what Darek can do with a full season to work with in 2021."
The 2020 Championship season was a breakout year for the Polish playmaker as he found the back of the net eight times in 15 appearances - tied for 10th most goals across the league. Formella bagged three multigoal games on the year - twice against Tacoma Defiance and registered the fastest brace in club history against Portland Timbers 2. He was named to the USL Championship Team of the Week three times (Week 4, Week 8 and Week 15.) Darek led the team in shots (28) and goals (8) on his way to earning team MVP honors, as selected by his teammates.
The Polish striker finished season with three multi-goal games and was selected for USL Championship Team of the Week three times in 2020.
Prior to playing for Republic FC, Formella won a league title and two Polish SuperCups with Lech Poznan, as well as lifting the Polish Cup with Arka Gdynia. He also competed in both the UEFA Europa League and in UEFA Champions League Qualifiers with Lech Poznan. Formella has also represented Poland at the youth national team level, most recently with Poland's U-21 squad.
Dariusz "Darek" Formella
Pronunciation: DAH-ree-oosh "DAH-rek" for-MEH-la
Weight: 179 lbs
Born: October 21, 1995
Previous Club: Sacramento Republic FC
How Acquired (Transaction): Re-signed on Dec. 17, 2020
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 18, 2020
- Day 9: RGV FC at Habitat for Humanity - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Stellar Strikes: Duke Lacroix - Sacramento Republic FC
- Around the Leagues: Festive Soccer Schedule About to Enter Full Swing - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC Re-Sign Dariusz Formella - Sacramento Republic FC
- 'A Chance to Do a Bit of Good'; LouCity Players Give to Refugee Toy Drive - Louisville City FC
- Real Monarchs Add New Zealand Forward Max Mata - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder Cam Lindley - San Antonio FC
- Orange County SC Signs Former Finland U-21 International Mikko Kuningas - Orange County SC
- Alfonso Vazquez Returning to Hartford in 2021 - Hartford Athletic
- New Mexico United Signs Ilija Ilic - New Mexico United
- GE Appliances Extends LouCity Agreement, Expands Support for Soccer - Louisville City FC
- Philadelphia Union II Announce Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 Season - Philadelphia Union II
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- SRFC Training Camp Notebook: Week 5
- Republic FC Bolsters Health & Wellness Safeguards, Enlists VenueNext to Create Enhanced Mobile-Powered Stadium Experience
- Republic FC's Flag Unveiled in the USL Championship's Culture Collection
- Fatai Alashe Named One of the USL's Top Defensive Midfielders
- Around the Leagues: The Return of MLS and Major Matchups Across the Globe