Steelheads Skate Past Grizzlies in Shootout
Boise, ID (12/4/17) - Shane Hanna recorded the first multi-goal game of his professional career, while Cody Corbett and Justin Parizek again connected in the shootout, as the Idaho Steelheads (12-6-4) earned their fifth consecutive road win with a 3-2 victory over the Utah Grizzlies (6-9-7) at Maverik Center.
On a night when the Steelheads were without three of their top four scorers, the rookie defenseman Hanna led the way offensively with a goal in the first period and another in the second. Philippe Desrosiers stopped 21 of 23 shots to extend his personal winning streak to a career-high six games.
Desrosiers stopped both Ryan Walters and Michael Pelech in the shootout. Cody Corbett beat Grizzlies goaltender Kevin Carr with a deke in the second round, and then Parizek ended the shootout with his league-leading third shootout goal of the season in three tries with a snap shot off the post from between the hash marks.
The Steelheads have won three consecutive shootouts, two of them coming in the last four games.
At 11:03 of the first period, Hanna opened the scoring with a slap shot from the right point off a clean face-off win by Alexander Dahl, Hanna's second goal of the season giving Idaho a 1-0 lead. The Grizzlies answered back at 17:54 of the first, with Ryan Olsen finishing a 2-on-1 rush for his first goal in eight games and his fourth of the season.
Early in the second period, Hanna struck again on a 3-on-2 to put Idaho back in front. Hanna started the play in the Idaho zone, skating through the forecheck and feeding Henrik Samuelsson through the neutral zone to spring the odd-man rush. Samuelsson fired a hard, low shot from the right wing off of Carr's pad, with the rebound pouring right out to the slot for an easy Hanna tap-in.
The Grizzlies would fight back to tie once more, with Walters finding a turnover in the high slot at 18:34 of the second period and beating Desrosiers for his fifth of the season.
Hanna is fourth in the ECHL in rookie scoring for defensemen, his 13 points one shy of the league lead. Desrosiers is now 3-1 in the shootout this season.
The Grizzlies are winless in eight straight games (0-3-5) and have lost their last seven games beyond regulation.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 13, 2017
- G John Muse Recalled, Matesevac Added as EBUG. - Reading Royals
- Nailers Receive Players, Leading into Road Game - Wheeling Nailers
- Solar Bears Upend Cyclones in 5-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mallards Acquire Bolton from Florida - Quad City Mallards
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Milwaukee Signs Lane to PTO - Atlanta Gladiators
- Walleye Wednesday #8 - Toledo Walleye
- Orlando Solar Bears at Cincinnati Cyclones - Orlando Solar Bears
- Reading's Willows Named Sher-Wood Hockey/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Royals Get D Nick Neville from South Carolina for F Matt Salhany - Reading Royals
- Tulsa's Hildebrand Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Greenville's Herbert Named CCM/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- December 5, 2017 - Norfolk Admirals
- Reading Royal Receive points against Wheeling Nailers - Reading Royals
- Steelheads Skate Past Grizzlies in Shootout - Idaho Steelheads
- Milwaukee Recalls Derek Army - Wheeling Nailers
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Graves Reassigned to Cleveland - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Weekly Update - Wichita Thunder
- Thunder Weekly, December 4th - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Garrett Ladd Returns to Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Nagle Named Goaltender of the Month - Toledo Walleye
- Toledo's Nagle Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.