Steel to Face Muskegon in Eastern Conference Final
GENEVA, ILLINOIS -The Chicago Steel, entering the postseason as the league's #1 overall seed, swept the Dubuque Fighting Saints 2-0 in the best-of-three Eastern Conference Semifinals and will advance to face the #2 seed Muskegon Lumberjacks in the Eastern Conference Final starting on Friday, May 7.
Game 1 Friday, May 7 Muskegon at Chicago 7:05 p.m. CT
Game 2 Saturday, May 8 Chicago at Muskegon 6:10 p.m. CT
Game 3 (if nec.) Monday, May 10 Muskegon at Chicago 7:05 p.m. CT
All three games are presented by River Front Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
The Steel defeated the Fighting Saints 2-1 on April 30 and 6-1 on May 1, earning the club's third trip to the Eastern Conference Final in franchise history (2017, 2019, 2021).
Muskegon clinched the #2 seed in the East with a 34-16-2-2 (72 pts.) record, nine points behind the Steel.
Chicago battled Muskegon to a 5-4-1-0 record in ten meetings during the regular season with a 3-2-0-0 mark on home ice and a 1-2-1-0 record at Mercy Health Arena in Michigan.
Steel forward Matt Coronato leads all USHL skaters with six points (3G, 3A) in two games during the 2021 Clark Cup Playoffs. The USHL's leading goal scorer during the regular season with 48 tallies, Coronato sits atop the same list in the postseason with three markers.
Danil Gushchin, selected by the San Jose Sharks in the third round (#76 overall) of the 2020 NHL Draft, paced the Lumberjacks with 64 points (32G, 32A), the most of any non-Steel player in the USHL this season. The Russian forward registered 23 points (12G, 11A) in nine appearances against the Steel, including three separate hat tricks during the 2020-2021 regular season.
This will be the third time Chicago and Muskegon have met in the Clark Cup Playoffs. In 2018, the Steel won a best-of-three First Round series in Muskegon with an overtime victory in the third and deciding game. The Steel defeated the top-seeded Lumberjacks three games to one in the best-of-five 2019 Eastern Conference Final, advancing to the club's second Clark Cup Final appearance in franchise history.
Tickets are on sale now for the Eastern Conference Final and fans are encouraged to purchase in advance due to 25% spectator capacity based on current state guidelines.
Tickets start at just $10 and are on sale now by calling 855-51-STEEL, visiting ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com or at the Steel Box Office open at 10 a.m. on the day of each home game.
Chicago Steel games can be heard on Mixlr at http://mixlr.com/chicago-steel/ (FREE AUDIO) and video may be streamed on available devices through HockeyTV at www.hockeytv.com (STREAM).
Chicago Steel Upcoming Games presented by Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush:
Friday, May 7 vs. Muskegon Lumberjacks (7:05 pm CT) Eastern Conference Final - Game 1 presented by River Front Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
Saturday, May 8 at Muskegon Lumberjacks (6:10 pm CT) Eastern Conference Final - Game 2
*Monday, May 10 vs. Muskegon Lumberjacks (7:05 pm CT) Eastern Conference Final - Game 3 presented by River Front Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
For more information, call 855-51-STEEL or visit ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from May 1, 2021
- Force Win in Playoff OT Thriller - Fargo Force
- Musketeers Blank Omaha in Playoff Opener - Sioux City Musketeers
- Coronato Tallies Four Points; Steel Sweep Dubuque - Chicago Steel
- Fighting Saints' Season Comes to a Close in Game Two - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Steel to Face Muskegon in Eastern Conference Final - Chicago Steel
- Musketeers Top Lancers 2-0 in Game One of Western Conference Semifinals - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Set to Host Game #2 of Conference Semifinals - Tri-City Storm
- Storm Open Postseason with 3-2 Victory over Force - Tri-City Storm
- Coronato, Latkoczy Lead Steel to Series-Opening Win - Chicago Steel
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Steel Stories
- Steel Enjoy Record Success at 2021 NHL Draft
- Steel Record Three First Round Selections in NHL Draft for First Time in Franchise History
- Former Steel Defenseman Owen Power Selected First Overall in 2021 NHL Draft
- Chicago Steel NHL Draft Preview
- Group Tickets and Experiences on Sale Friday, July 16