Musketeers Blank Omaha in Playoff Opener
(Ralston, NE) - Shai Buium and Ben Doran each scored goals and Akira Schmid finished with 25 saves as the Sioux City Musketeers Negaunee the Clark Cup playoffs with a 2-0 shutout victory against Omaha on Saturday.
Doran opened the scoring with just under eight minutes left in the first period when Jackson Nieuwendyk forced a Lancer turnover in the neutral zone. The puck made it's way to Doran, who found himself all alone in front of Omaha goaltender Jakub Dobes. Doran dragged the puck to the right of the net before slapping it past Dobes' gloved left hand.
Buium doubled the lead with an unassisted goal three minutes into the second period. Buium collected a loose puck at the Lancer blue line, drove the net and while crossing the goal crease, managed to chip the puck past Dobes' stick-side. That would be more than enough goal-support for Schmid, who earned his league-best fourth shutout of the season.
The Musketeers now lead the best-of-three conference semifinal series 1-0 with game two set for Sunday at 4:05pm in Omaha.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from May 1, 2021
- Force Win in Playoff OT Thriller - Fargo Force
- Musketeers Blank Omaha in Playoff Opener - Sioux City Musketeers
- Coronato Tallies Four Points; Steel Sweep Dubuque - Chicago Steel
- Fighting Saints' Season Comes to a Close in Game Two - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Steel to Face Muskegon in Eastern Conference Final - Chicago Steel
- Musketeers Top Lancers 2-0 in Game One of Western Conference Semifinals - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Set to Host Game #2 of Conference Semifinals - Tri-City Storm
- Storm Open Postseason with 3-2 Victory over Force - Tri-City Storm
- Coronato, Latkoczy Lead Steel to Series-Opening Win - Chicago Steel
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.