Fighting Saints' Season Comes to a Close in Game Two
GENEVA, Ill. - The tenth consecutive playoff run for the Dubuque Fighting Saints came to a close on Saturday night. The Chicago Steel scored two goals in the first period and never looked back in a 6-1 victory over Dubuque in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Semifinal round. Chicago won the series two games to none.
Chicago outshot Dubuque 20-9 in the opening period, and saw their scoring open on the power play. Dubuque killed off its first penalty, but the second one was unsuccessful. Mackie Samoskevich converted to give Chicago a 1-0 lead. The Steel tacked on one more off of a pick play from Ryan Ufko at 18:45.
The league's leading scorer, Matt Coronato, opened the second period with a goal in which the Fighting Saints almost immediately responded to. On just the first power play for the Fighting Saints in the entire series, Kenny Connors bashed home the rebound past a sprawled Simon Latkoczy to get the Fighting Saints within two. While the momentum appeared to shift in Dubuque's favor, it was Chicago who profited.
Sean Farrell, the league's leading scorer, posted a power play goal of his own, and Adam Fantilli finished off a deke to best goaltender Lukas Parik to make the score 5-1 after two periods of play.
Coronato finished the game with a goal at 4:46 of the third period. Parik made 40 saves on 46 shots in the game. The Saints were outshot 46-25 for the game.
The Fighting Saints earned a late power play in the third period, but were unable to convert. The game featured 43 minutes in penalties total.
So ends the tenth consecutive foray into the Clark Cup Playoffs for the Dubuque Fighting Saints, who will look to rebound with a core of young players into the 2021-22 season, and begin the journey towards a sixth Clark Cup championship.
Season tickets are available now. Call 563.583.6880 to buy or renew your season tickets and secure your spot for another exciting season of Dubuque Fighting Saints hockey.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from May 1, 2021
- Force Win in Playoff OT Thriller - Fargo Force
- Musketeers Blank Omaha in Playoff Opener - Sioux City Musketeers
- Coronato Tallies Four Points; Steel Sweep Dubuque - Chicago Steel
- Fighting Saints' Season Comes to a Close in Game Two - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Steel to Face Muskegon in Eastern Conference Final - Chicago Steel
- Musketeers Top Lancers 2-0 in Game One of Western Conference Semifinals - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Set to Host Game #2 of Conference Semifinals - Tri-City Storm
- Storm Open Postseason with 3-2 Victory over Force - Tri-City Storm
- Coronato, Latkoczy Lead Steel to Series-Opening Win - Chicago Steel
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dubuque Fighting Saints Stories
- Cronin, Thrun Named All-USHL Third Team Selections
- Lukas Parik Signs Contract with Ontario Reign
- Fighting Saints Release 2021-22 Schedule
- Oliver David Named Assistant Coach of EHC Biel
- Dubuque Fighting Saints Complete Phase II of 2021 USHL Draft, Select 20 Players