Statement from the Indianapolis Indians
Indianapolis Indians baseball dates back to 1902 and it's been the organization's goal to be low-cost family entertainment for all fans in an inclusive environment. We take this mission very seriously. We also feel strongly about the relationship we have with our fans, community and corporate partners. Knowing that the appropriateness of our team name is being questioned, we will be forming a committee to explore it while also gathering community input. As background, the name is derived from our state, Indiana, which means "Land of the Indians" and our city, Indianapolis, which means "City of Indians."
We are prepared to collaborate with our community and appropriate stakeholders. We understand that our team name has not been endorsed by some but trust they understand the historic and respectful context in which it has been used over the years. We are committed to engage, listen and exchange ideas.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 28, 2020
- Statement from the Indianapolis Indians - Indianapolis Indians
- This Date in Indians History Ã¢ÂÂ July - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Former Tribe Flamethrower Blake Cederlind Makes MLB Debut
- Pittsburgh's No. 2 Prospect Ke'Bryan Hayes Homers in MLB Debut
- Victory Field Lights up Red as Part of #RedAlertRestart
- Tribe 2019 Home Run Leader Will Craig Makes MLB Debut
- Coming Soon to a Ballpark Near You: Flicks at Victory Field