Stars Pick up Five Points on Weekend Double-Header
St. Charles, MO - The Tacoma Stars (7-5-1) played back-to-back nights against the Kansas City Comets and St. Louis Ambush and are taking home five of the six possible points. Tacoma edged the Comets in shootouts following a scoreless overtime period to net a 6-5 win on Friday before doubling up the Ambush 12-6 at The Family Arena the next night.
On Friday, following a back-and-forth 60 minutes of regulation time which saw Jamael Cox convert on an assist from Mike Ramos to tie the game at 5-5 with 1:30 left to go in the fourth, neither team managed a goal in the 10-minute extra time frame and the game proceeded to shootouts.
Only Lucas Sousa found the back of the net for the Comets, while Nani Mendoza beat Kansas City keeper Nicolau Neto on consecutive attempts to seal the victory in front of over 4,500 fans at Cable Dahmer Arena.
In the process of the win, the Stars lost the services of the MASL's leading scorer, Nick Perera, who injured his knee on the first shift of the game. The team is waiting on test results to determine the length of his absence.
With Perera out on Saturday, multiple Stars filled the scoring void led by Cox, who finished with a hat trick and three assists for a six-point night.
Eddie Na (1G-2A), Willie Spurr (2G-1A), Nani Mendoza (1G-2A) all finished with three points in the win over St. Louis.
Next week will be another challenge for Tacoma as they play in Dallas on Thursday night before heading to Monterrey to battle the still undefeated Flash on Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 10, 2024
- Stars Pick up Five Points on Weekend Double-Header - Tacoma Stars
- Keepers Shine as Strykers Fall 7-2 Away to Comets - MASL
- St. Louis Ambush Lose to Tacoma - MASL
- Comets Snap Losing Skid With Win Over Empire - Kansas City Comets
- 'Keepers Shine as Strykers Fall 7-2 Away to Comets - Empire Strykers
- St. Louis Ambush Lose to Tacoma - St. Louis Ambush
- Comets Host Empire Strykers - Kansas City Comets
- Baltimore Blast Holds off Late Rally, Defeats Empire Strykers - MASL
- Comets Lose Shootout to Stars - MASL
- Empire Loses 9-7 to Blast as Another Rally Falls Short - MASL
- Comets Lose Shootout to Stars - Kansas City Comets
- Savage Strong At Home - San Diego Sockers
- Robert Palmer Becomes 1st MASL Player to Hit 300-Block Milestone - Kansas City Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.