Stars Beat Heat 4-3 in Overtime
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat were defeated by the Texas Stars (AHL affiliate of the Dallas Stars) 4-3 in overtime on Wednesday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat remain in second place in the West Division with a 33-19-5-2 record and 73 points.
Down two goals in the third period, the Heat staged a third period comeback scoring consecutive goals to force overtime, but fell in the extra period. Sven Baertschi and Corey Locke extended their respective point streaks in the loss.
Travis Morin, the Stars leading scorer, opened up the scoring with a power play goal at 6:53 in the first period. Sven Baertschi responded with a power play goal of his own at 9:07, assisted by Josh Jooris and Corey Locke. The Heat outshot the Stars 12 to 9 in the first period.
The second period remained scoreless until 18:30, when Jamie Oleksiak put a shot past Roy. Scott Glennie quickly added another goal for the Stars and made it a 3-1 game with 18 seconds left in the period.
Blair Jones started the comeback trail, tipping the puck into the Stars net at the 9:13 mark, with Ben Street and Evan Trupp grabbing the assists. With time winding down, Brett Olson delivered the game tying goal, from Carter Bancks and Turner Elson at 16:16, forcing the teams into overtime.
The Stars came out victorious, at 2:04 in sudden death overtime, with a goal by Cameron Gaunce.
Abbotsford was one for four on the power play and killed off two of three Stars man advantages.
Olivier Roy made 27 of 31 saves and was charged the loss, while Cristopher Nilstorp picked up the win stopping 33 of 36 shots he faced.
This weekend the Heat will return to action, facing off against the Chicago Wolves (AHL affiliate of the St. Louis Blues) on Saturday, March 8th and Sunday, March 9th. Saturday will feature the next $3, $2, $1 Brew Dog'n Pop night. March 8th will also be Punjabi night, showcasing Punjabi food, music and dance. Sunday will be the annual Pucks 'n Paws game, as well as a post-game family skate with the Heat players. For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 6, 2014
- Flames Recall Defenceman Tyler Wotherspoon from Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Monarchs to Honor Fallen MIT Officer - Manchester Monarchs
- Two Forwards Reassigned to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rampage Recall F Trevor Lewis - San Antonio Rampage
- IceHogs Team up with March of Dimes for 15th Annual Jersey Auction - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons Charitable Foundation Presents Check to Baystate Children's Hospital - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Announce 2014-2015 Guaranteed Dates - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Anaheim Acquires Petersson - Norfolk Admirals
- Pulkkinen Recalled by Detroit, Hirschfeld Signed to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Parrot Head Beach Party Highlights Saturday's Game Versus Comets - Binghamton Senators
- Anaheim Recalls Rakell from Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Bulldogs Release Southorn from PTO - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals Host Rockford Friday on Pizza Cutter Night - Milwaukee Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Scotty Bowman Showcase Returns for 10th Year on April 9 - Rochester Americans
- Jets Recall John Albert from IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with Hillside Family of Agencies for 'Lend a Hand' Night on March 8 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bring Your Dog to An Albany Devils Game - Albany Devils
- Phantoms Weekly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Stars Beat Heat 4-3 in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
- Gaunce's OT Goal Lifts Texas to 4-3 Win at Abbotsford - Texas Stars
- Barons Rally, But Fall in Shootout 4-3 - Oklahoma City Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.