Stamps Face Provincial Foes for First Time in 2019
The first of three Battles of Alberta during the 2019 CFL season features a pair of 4-2 teams getting together on Saturday at McMahon Stadium. Kickoff for the game between the Calgary Stampeders and Edmonton Eskimos is at 5 p.m.
The Stampeders are coming off a 17-16 win in Ottawa in Week 7 while the Eskimos were 26-0 winners at home against Toronto. The provincial rivals entered Week 8 tied for second place in the West Division, one game behind the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
The Stampeders are a perfect 4-0 at home against the Eskimos since the start of the 2016 season including three regular-season victories and a win in the 2017 Western Final. This season, Calgary is 2-1 at home and 2-0 against West Division rivals. Edmonton is 1-2 on the road and 2-1 against the West.
The Stamps and Esks will meet again on Sept. 2 at McMahon in the annual Labour Day Classic and on Sept. 7 at Commonwealth Stadium.
The fun gets underway two hours before kickoff with the Gridiron Gardens tailgate party on the South Practice Field from 3-5 p.m. Multiculturalism will be celebrated as BBQ fare with Venezuelan, Cuban, Korean, German and Canadian influences will be available for purchase.
There will also be a live DJ and multicultural entertainment as well as sponsorship activations, yard games, inflatables and a photo booth. In addition, a pair of Stamps players will be signing autographs from 3 to 4 p.m.
The halftime entertainment features Kal Tire Bumper Ball Soccer. Red City Drum Line will be performing before and during the game while the team's new foster puppy - who joined the Stamps family thanks to a partnership with the Cochrane Humane Society - will officially be named.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from July 31, 2019
- Edwards fined after Week 7 play - CFL
- Stamps Face Provincial Foes for First Time in 2019 - Calgary Stampeders
- Eskimos Host 'Labour Day Tailgate' Viewing Party on Turf - Edmonton Eskimos
- This Week in the CFL - Week 8 - CFL
- Roughriders Trade Zach Collaros to Argonauts - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Argos Trade for Veteran QB Zach Collaros - Toronto Argonauts
- Pipkin Activated, Bridge Released - Montreal Alouettes
- William Stanback NommÃ© Parmi Les Joueurs Du Mois De Juillet Dans La LCF // William Stanback Named One of the CFL Top Performers of July - Montreal Alouettes
- Winston Rose Named Shaw CFL Top Performer of the Month - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Winston Rose, William Stanback and Charleston Hughes named July's Shaw CFL Top Performers - CFL
- 50/50 Pot Starting at $100,000 August 8th vs Calgary - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.