Stamps Duo Honoured by CFL
Calgary Stampeders defensive back Tre Roberson and receiver Eric Rogers have been named the Canadian Football League's top two players of the week as a result of their play in a victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at McMahon Stadium on Saturday.
Roberson made a pair of critical plays to help the Stampeders win a third consecutive game and improve to 8-4 on the season. In the second quarter, Roberson made his team-leading seventh interception of the season deep in Calgary territory to put the brakes on a Hamilton drive. Then, in the final minute of play, Roberson leaped high in the air to block a field goal attempt by Ticats kicker Lirim Hajrallahu and preserve the Stamps' 19-18 lead.
Roberson also made five tackles in the contest and was part of a defensive unit that kept the Hamilton offence scoreless in the second half.
The Calgary defence's performance allowed the Stamps to rally from an 18-6 deficit and pull out the victory. The comeback was led by Rogers, who had eight receptions for 129 yards including a 15-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. The touchdown and subsequent extra point gave the Stamps the lead and closed out the scoring.
It was the second 100-yard game of the season for Rogers, who leads the CFL with eight touchdowns receptions.
Stamps players have been honoured as a CFL player of the week on a total of five occasions so far this season.
Stampeders players of the week in 2019:
Week 3: Eric Rogers
Week 4: Tre Roberson
Week 10: Reggie Begelton
Week 14: Tre Roberson and Eric Rogers
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from September 17, 2019
- First 20,000 Fans Receive Commemorative Ricky Ray Flags Friday Night - Edmonton Eskimos
- Evan Foster Joins Red and White - Calgary Stampeders
- Stamps Duo Honoured by CFL - Calgary Stampeders
- Shaw CFL Top Performers for Week 14 Announced - CFL
- Kevin Anderson Released - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Blue Bombers to Host Annual Fan Appreciation Day - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Argos Add Six to Extended Practice Roster - Toronto Argonauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.