Stamps Duo Honoured by CFL
Calgary Stampeders defensive back Tre Roberson and receiver Eric Rogers have been named the Canadian Football League's top two players of the week as a result of their play in a victory over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at McMahon Stadium on Saturday.
Roberson made a pair of critical plays to help the Stampeders win a third consecutive game and improve to 8-4 on the season. In the second quarter, Roberson made his team-leading seventh interception of the season deep in Calgary territory to put the brakes on a Hamilton drive. Then, in the final minute of play, Roberson leaped high in the air to block a field goal attempt by Ticats kicker Lirim Hajrallahu and preserve the Stamps' 19-18 lead.
Roberson also made five tackles in the contest and was part of a defensive unit that kept the Hamilton offence scoreless in the second half.
The Calgary defence's performance allowed the Stamps to rally from an 18-6 deficit and pull out the victory. The comeback was led by Rogers, who had eight receptions for 129 yards including a 15-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter. The touchdown and subsequent extra point gave the Stamps the lead and closed out the scoring.
It was the second 100-yard game of the season for Rogers, who leads the CFL with eight touchdowns receptions.
Stamps players have been honoured as a CFL player of the week on a total of five occasions so far this season.
Stampeders players of the week in 2019:
Week 3: Eric Rogers
Week 4: Tre Roberson
Week 10: Reggie Begelton
Week 14: Tre Roberson and Eric Rogers
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from September 17, 2019
- First 20,000 Fans Receive Commemorative Ricky Ray Flags Friday Night - Edmonton Eskimos
- Evan Foster Joins Red and White - Calgary Stampeders
- Stamps Duo Honoured by CFL - Calgary Stampeders
- Shaw CFL Top Performers for Week 14 Announced - CFL
- Kevin Anderson Released - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Blue Bombers to Host Annual Fan Appreciation Day - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Argos Add Six to Extended Practice Roster - Toronto Argonauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Calgary Stampeders Stories
- Stamps Face Bombers in Regular-Season Home Finale
- Simpson Signs Contract; Retires as Stampeder
- New CFL Award Named After Longtime Member of Stampeders Organization
- Stamps Look to Wrangle Roughriders
- Three Tailgate Events Make Party Bigger Than Ever at 2019 Grey Cup Festival Presented by Shaw