Stampede Earn Weekend Sweep over Storm
KEARNEY, Neb. - The Sioux Falls Stampede defeated the Tri-City Storm 4-2 to earn a two-game sweep at the Viaero Center Sunday evening. Goaltender Noah Grannan was the star of the game after stopping 37 of 39 shots on net. Luke Toporowski, Brent Johnson and Reid Pabich scored in the contest.
Gavin Brindley scored the opening goal of the game for the Tri-City Storm at 5:54 of the first period with the assist to Cole O'Hara. The Herd quickly responded with a goal from defenseman Brent Johnson, his tenth of the season, with the assists to Dante Fantauzzi and Reid Pabich.
Luke Toporowski gave the Stampede the lead with a clinical series of passes from Dan Russell and Nate Schweitzer with 2:03 left in the first period. Schweitzer put the puck on the tape of Russell who took the puck over the blue line and made a cross ice pass to Toporowski for the one-time blast.
After a deadlock second period, the Storm were able to grab a game-tying goal 1:17 into the third period. Reid Pabich responded to regain the lead one minute later on a blast past goaltender Todd Scott with the assist to Ean Somoza. Johnson sealed the game with an empty-net goal in the final two minutes.
The Stampede now look to a standalone game with the Omaha Lancers this Saturday at the PREMIER Center. The Sioux Falls Fighting Wiener will host the 14th Annual Sioux Nation Pet Clinic Wiener Dog Races. Fans are encouraged to get tickets early while they last. Fans can also catch the game streaming live at HockeyTV.com or listen live on KELO Radio 107.9 FM, 1320 AM or Kelo.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 21, 2021
- Samoskevich Pots Overtime Winner to Lift Steel - Chicago Steel
- Sunday Shootout a Success - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Storm Defeated by Stampede 4-2 - Tri-City Storm
- Black Hawks Defeat Lancers in Shootout, 4-3 - Omaha Lancers
- Stampede Earn Weekend Sweep over Storm - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Storm Host Stampede for "Sunday Funday" - Tri-City Storm
- Storm Fall in Overtime to Stampede - Tri-City Storm
- Musketeers Suffer Weekend Sweep at Fargo - Sioux City Musketeers
- Phantoms Fall to Chicago 4-3 in Overtime - Youngstown Phantoms
- Lancers Defeat Stars, 4-2 - Omaha Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.