St. Louis Ambush Resume Rivalry with Comets Sunday in Independence
St. Charles, MO - The St. Louis Ambush (8-8) resume their cross-state rivalry with the Kansas City Comets (7-7) when the two teams collide this Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 3:05 p.m. CST at the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena in Independence.
Sunday's match is the fourth of six meetings between the Ambush and Comets slated for the 2019-20 MASL regular season. The Ambush hold a 2-1 advantage in the season series thus far. The action is usually intense when these two Show Me State rivals clash. With both teams past the halfway point in the season and both teams vying for a playoff spot, Sunday's match promises to be another hard fought duel.
The Ambush enter Sunday's game hoping having won their last two contests and three of their last five. The Comets will be looking to bounce back from a loss their last time out, but have also won three of their last five matches.
The Comets are led by player/coach Leo Gibson, a prolific scorer who currently has 23 goals and 20 assists. The Comets boast seven other players who have posted double digits in points thus far on the season. Offensively for the Ambush, three forwards, Duduca, JT Thomas and Tony Walls, each have 16 goals and eight assists. The Ambush have six players who have tallied over ten points.
On defense, the Ambush and Comets each have one of the top shot blockers in the league. Kansas City's Robert Palmer is second in the MASL in blocks at 28, while Ambush defender Axel Duarte is right behind him with 27.
In goal, four different goalkeepers have started three or more games for the Comets this season. Rookie Nicolau Neto has started the most at five games, compiling a 6.34 goals against average with a .663 save percentage. Between the pipes for the Ambush, Paulo has a 6.19 goals against average and a .685 save percentage.
After Sunday's game, the Ambush return home to the Family Arena to host the Ontario Fury Friday, February 21 at 7:35 p.m. CST. Single game tickets for the remainder of the 2019-20 season are on sale and can be purchased at the Family Arena box office or at ticketmaster.com. Groups of 10 or more can purchase their discounted tickets by calling the Ambush office at 636-477-6363.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 13, 2020
- Mesquite Outlaws Lose to Utica City FC 5-8 - Mesquite Outlaws
- Utica City Wrangles Outlaws - Utica City FC
- St. Louis Ambush Resume Rivalry with Comets Sunday in Independence - St. Louis Ambush
- Ontario Fury Adds Another Local Player to Roster - Ontario Fury
- Army Captain Is First Kick for Military and First Responders' Night - Dallas Sidekicks
- Lancers Visit the Sunshine State to Meet the First-Place Tropics - Rochester Lancers
- City of Allen Fire Chief to Do First Kick - Dallas Sidekicks
- Heat Complete Grueling Five Game Road Trip Saturday - Harrisburg Heat
- Cal Express Welcome the Fury - Turlock Cal Express
- San Diego Downs Baltimore 5-1 - San Diego Sockers
- Blast Fall to Sockers 5-1 - Baltimore Blast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.