Sporting KC Acquires Dani Rojas on Loan
Sporting Kansas City announced today that the club has acquired 25-year-old Mexican international striker Dani Rojas on loan from English club AFC Richmond for the 2021 MLS season.
As part of the loan deal, Sporting has agreed to ship a metric ton of Kansas City barbeque sauce to AFC Richmond manager and Kansas native Ted Lasso.
Rojas will occupy an international spot on Sporting's roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P1 visa. He will immediately rival midfielder Ilie Sanchez as the nicest human being in Kansas City.
"Football is life," Rojas exclaimed with a beaming smile.
Born and raised in Mexico, Rojas began his professional career at Tigres UANL and blossomed into one of the most prolific goal scorers in LIGA MX. His standout performances vaulted him into the Mexico Men's National Team and attracted the attention of high-profile clubs across the world.
Rojas landed a big-money move from Tigres to the English Premier League in 2019, signing for AFC Richmond during the summer transfer window. He suffered a long-term injury shortly after his arrival -- an unfortunate setback attributed to a curse that has embroiled the southwest London club for decades.
Under Lasso's inspirational tutelage, Rojas regained full fitness and bundled home several goals during the latter half of the 2019-20 Premier League campaign as Richmond battled desperately to avoid relegation. Despite a spirited fight by Rojas and his teammates, Richmond were relegated on the final day of the season.
"Takin' on a challenge is a lot like ridin' a horse: if you're comfortable while you're doin' it, you're probably doin' it wrong," Lasso said. "Dani is a spirited fella and we certainly can't blame him for seeking a new challenge in Kansas City. That place is special and their barbeque is the best on the planet."
Sporting Kansas City will kick off the club's 26th season in MLS on April 17, visiting the New York Red Bulls at 7 p.m. CT. Manager Peter Vermes' side will then host Orlando City SC in a highly anticipated Children's Mercy Park home opener on April 23 at 6:30 p.m. CT. Tickets to Sporting's first four home matches are available while supplies last at SeatGeek.com.
Transaction: Sporting Kansas City (MLS) acquires forward Dani Rojas on loan from AFC Richmond (English Championship) for the 2021 season.
Born: 9/16/1995 (25 years old)
Hometown: Somewhere in Mexico
Birthplace: Somewhere else in Mexico
Former Club: AFC Richmond (England)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 1, 2021
- Timbers Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic Undergoes Successful Athletic Pubalgia Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Austin FC First Team Players, Coaching and Soccer Operations Staff Receive First Dose of COVID-19 Vaccination - Austin FC
- St. David's Performance Center Officially Opens - Austin FC
- FC Dallas Midfielder Thiago Santos Joins Gremio - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Announce Time Change for June 19 Home Match against Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Names Craig Waibel Senior Vice President of Soccer Operations & Sporting Director - Seattle Sounders FC
- Nashville SC to Play Birmingham Legion FC in Final Preseason Match - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Acquires Dani Rojas on Loan - Sporting Kansas City
- Revolution Defeat LA Galaxy, 4-1, in Preseason Action - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy vs. New England Revolution - Wednesday, March 31, 2021 (Preseason) - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.