Sporting Kansas City Faces Rivals Chicago Fire on Saturday
Sporting Kansas City (1-0-0) will continue their rivalry with the Chicago Fire on Saturday as the two Eastern Conference opponents clash at 3 p.m. CT at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Illinois.
Sporting Kansas City were 3-2 winners over Chivas USA last Saturday on two goals from MLS Player of the Week Omar Bravo and will look to continue their successful start to the 2011 season against a Chicago Fire side that drew 1-1 at FC Dallas. The two teams finished 2010 three points apart and on the outside of the MLS Cup Playoffs, the first time neither Midwest club was represented in the League's postseason.
Sporting Kansas City is 10-20-8 all-time versus the Fire, and just 3-13-2 when away in the series, but in the last three seasons have gone 2-0-1 in trips to Toyota Park and lost just once in their last seven meetings with Chicago.
Several hundred Sporting Kansas City supporters are expected to be in attendance on Saturday, as the team provided 300 complimentary tickets through the club's membership program for fans wishing to travel. Sporting Club CEO Robb Heineman also announced on Twitter that the team will be donating $500 to LIVESTRONG for every goal scored on the Chicago Fire in MLS this season. For example, Chicago allowed 38 goals during the 2010 MLS season, seventh worst in the League. If they were to allow the same number of goals this season, $19,000 will be donated to LIVESTRONG.
Sporting KC will be without striker Kei Kamara, the team's leading goal scorer last season, who joined Sierra Leone for their African Cup of Nations qualifier at Niger on Sunday after contributing two assists in Sporting Kansas City's season opener last weekend. Defender Shavar Thomas is on international duty this weekend, as he captains Jamaica in a pair of friendlies. The Reggae Boyz will host Venezuela tonight at 8 p.m. CT, followed by a trip to take on El Salvador on Sunday.
Saturday's game will be available in Spanish nationwide on TeleFutura, the only MLS match to be nationally broadcast in the U.S. on Saturday, while also available locally on KSMO-TV. Spanish radio partner La Gran D 1340 AM will also broadcast the match over the airwaves.
Fans can participate in a live chat during the game on SportingKC.com and follow the game via Sporting Kansas City's gameday Twitter feed .
Please note: Sporting Kansas City is the new identity of Kansas City's Major League Soccer club, and will provide premier professional sports experiences for its members in the Midwest. Season tickets are currently on sale for the 2011 MLS season, highlighted by the debut of former Chivas Guadalajara star and Mexico international Omar Bravo, the second season of U.S. Men's National Team forward Teal Bunbury and the opening of Kansas City's state-of-the-art LIVESTRONG Sporting Park on June 9th. Visit www.SportingKC.com or call 888-4KC-GOAL to reserve seats.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 25, 2011
- Earthquakes Sign Forward Matt Luzunaris - San Jose Earthquakes
- Portland Timbers to Visit Toronto FC - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Faces Rivals Chicago Fire on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Set to Host San Jose Earthquakes Saturday - FC Dallas
- Sparta United Becomes First Partner of Real Salt Lake/adidas "Royal Coalition" Development Program - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Announces Discipline for Joseph, Percovich - MLS
- Dan Kelly, Evan Whitfield and Oscar Guzman Named Official Chicago Fire Broadcast Team - Chicago Fire
- Kevin Harmse Returns to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Signs Midfielder Brandon Barklage - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Hit the Road to Face 2010 MLS Cup Finalist FC Dallas - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Partner with American Red Cross to Raise Money to Help Victims of Japan Earthquake - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Events: Saturday, March 26 V. L.A. Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Red Bulls Go "All In" in New adidas "All Red Bulls" Promotion - New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC Striker Omar Salgado Available for Selection - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Red Bulls Sign Goalkeeper Alex Horwath - New York Red Bulls
- The World's Top Soccer Clubs Face off this Summer in the 2011 World Football Challenge - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.