Sounders FC Extends Osvaldo Alonso Contract
RENTON, WASH. - The Seattle Sounders FC announced today that it has extended the contract of midfielder Osvaldo Alonso through the 2014 Major League Soccer season.
Alonso, voted the team's most valuable player in 2010, is entering his third year with Sounders FC. Per club and Major League Soccer policy, no further terms of the deal were disclosed.
"We are thrilled to extend Ozzie's contract for an additional two years," said general manager Adrian Hanauer. "Through his hard work, intensity and heart, Ozzie is certainly deserving of the reward of a bigger and longer contract."
"Ozzie has been a vital part of the Sounders' success," said head coach Sigi Schmid. "His work rate, defensive tenacity and passing are important every game, and I am happy he will be with us for a while."
"I am very pleased with the attention I have been given by the club, and I appreciate the confidence that Adrian and Sigi have shown in me," said Alonso. "I am very happy with the team and the fans here in Seattle. The fans have treated me well and I will give them and the club my best every time I step on the field, and I will work hard to bring success to the Sounders."
In 2010 Alonso, 25, was instrumental in Sounders FC compiling the best record in MLS over the second half of the season. Once he returned from a seven-game absence due to injury, Seattle went 9-2-2. In addition to winning balls and starting attacks Alonso scored one goal and added three assists in 23 league appearances. Nine of the 11 shutouts were achieved in games he played.
Alonso made 29 league appearances in 2009, his first year in MLS, scoring one goal and three assists. Capped 17 times by the Cuban National Team, he was voted USL Rookie of the Year in 2008 while with Charleston.
Sounders FC opens the MLS season on March 15 by hosting the L.A. Galaxy in First Kick 2011 on the Xbox Pitch at Qwest Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. PT and the match will be shown live on ESPN and ESPN Deportes. For 2011 season tickets visit SoundersFC.com or call 877-MLS-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 17, 2011
- Chicago Fire Draw Florida Gulf Coast 2-2 in First Preseason Match - Chicago Fire
- Soccer Hall of Fame: Class of 2011 Candidates Finalized, Balloting Begins Today - D.C. United
- Jason Kreis Debuts on National Soccer Hall of Fame Player Ballot - Real Salt Lake
- ChivaGirls Auditions to be Held this Saturday at the Home Depot Center - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- FC Dallas Academy Update - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Individual Tickets for 2011 on Sale Now - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew Signs All Four SuperDraft Selections - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Waives Defender Julius James - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Extends Osvaldo Alonso Contract - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Freddie Braun, Goalkeeper Jake Gleeson - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Launches "Rave Green Certification" Sustainability Program for Washington State Schools
- Seattle Sounders FC Clinches 10th Consecutive Postseason Berth with 2-1 Win in Orlando, Equalling MLS Record
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Orlando City SC - October 17, 2018
- Sounders FC Statement on the Passing of Paul Allen
- Sounders FC Rolls to 4-1 Win over Houston, as Final Stretch of Regular Season Approaches