Solar Bears Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Admirals
Perry, LeBlanc score in regulation for Orlando
ORLANDO, Fla. - Despite completing a comeback from a 2-0 deficit and forcing overtime to secure a point, the Orlando Solar Bears (11-13-4-1) ultimately fell in the fifth round of the shootout to the Norfolk Admirals (10-17-1-0) on Saturday night at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
Norfolk's Darik Angeli netted the shootout-winning tally in the bottom of the fifth round for Norfolk after all previous shooters from both teams failed to bury a chance.
Orlando: Joe Perry (Max Novak), Chris LeBlanc [SH] (Novak)
Goaltender: Cal Heeter (35/37)
Norfolk: Christian Horn (Grant Besse, Brodie Dupont), Michael Young [PP] (Domenic Alberga, Besse), Darik Angeli [SOW]
Goaltender: Ty Reichenbach (45/47)
ON THE SCORESHEET
Joe Perry got Orlando on the board at 16:20 of the first period to cut Norfolk's 2-0 lead in half with his second goal of the season following a faceoff win from Max Novak. Perry jammed the puck through the legs of Ty Reichenbach to kick off the Teddy Bear Toss goal for the Solar Bears. Chris LeBlanc tied the score at 2-2 with a shorthanded tally at 13:04 of the second period after Norfolk's Chase Harrison coughed the puck up at the Orlando blue line, allowing LeBlanc and Novak to team up for a give-and-go breakout that ended with LeBlanc netting his seventh of the season. Max Novak led the Solar Bears with a two-point effort, assisting on both goals. Cal Heeter took the shootout loss for Orlando with 35 saves on 37 shots against.
Novak and J.J. Piccinich led Orlando with nine shots on goal. The Solar Bears are 1-1 in shootouts this season. The Solar Bears return from the holiday break to face the Jacksonville Icemen at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center on Wednesday, Dec. 27 at 7 p.m. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
1) Ty Reichenbach - NOR
2) Cal Heeter - ORL
3) Darik Angeli - NOR
About the Orlando Solar Bears:
The Orlando Solar Bears are in their sixth season of operation in the ECHL, the premier "AA" hockey league in North America, and are the proud affiliate of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and the AHL's Toronto Marlies. The Solar Bears are owned and operated by the Orlando Magic and the DeVos Family, and play at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 26, 2017
- Thunder Close 2017 with Pirates, Princesses and Star Wars - Wichita Thunder
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, December 26 - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Thunder Falls to Kansas City in Physical Contest - Wichita Thunder
- RUSH END LOSING STREAK AGAINST IDAHO - Rapid City Rush
- Hafner Stellar in Colorado's Win over Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Solar Bears Earn Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Tommy Olczyk scores shorthanded hat trick to spark home victory - Indy Fuel
- Frazee Reassigned to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Americans Snap Oilers' Road Winning Streak - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Have the Right Stuff in 5-3 Win in Glens Falls - Worcester Railers HC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Playoff Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears vs. South Carolina Stingrays
- Valleau Returns from AHL Utica
- Solar Bears to Raise Funds for Humboldt Bus Crash Victims
- Solar Bears Take Game 2 with 2-1 Win
- Playoff Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays