Smokies' win streak hits six with 4-1 win Saturday night
SEVIERVILLE, Tenn. - The hit parade continued for the Tennessee Smokies Saturday night in their series opener against the Carolina Mudcats. Following an 18-hit performance the night before in Mobile, Tyler Colvin & Co. banged out 12 hits to beat the Mudcats, 4-1, in front of 6,328 at Smokies Park. The win puts the Smokies at 19-17 in the season's second half, 51-55 overall, only a half-game behind Chattanooga for first place in the Southern League North Division.
Colvin dazzled again for the second consecutive night. His 3-for-3 performance Saturday included a double in the fourth that would eventually lead to a run scored on Welington Castillo's double, tying the game at one.
The South Carolina native wasn't done yet though. He drilled a two-run home run to right field off Carolina starter Luis Montano (0-1) in the fifth that extended the Smokies' lead to 4-1. Colvin's single in the second and his reaching base on a catcher's interference call in the seventh, puts him 8-for-8 at the plate over the past two nights.
The runs were more than enough for the Smokies pitching staff, which limited the Mudcats to a single run on four hits on the night. Chicago reliever David Patton continued his rehab assignment with the Smokies by tossing three innings, allowing one unearned run on two hits.
Marco Carrillo (2-1) picked up the win with three innings of one-hit ball in relief of Patton. Alex Maestri (2.0 IP, 3 K) and Brian Schlitter (S, 15) mowed down Carolina over the final three innings to secure the win.
Carolina and Tennessee square off in Game 2 of their five-game series Sunday afternoon at Smokies Park. Zach Ward (0-0, 0.00) will start for the Mudcats against Andrew Cashner (1-1, 1.09) for the Smokies. Tickets for the 5:00 game, which will feature a post-game concert by Christian band SONICFLOOd, can be purchased at www.smokiesbaseball.com, by calling the Smokies at 286-2300 or at the stadium ticket office.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 1, 2009
- Smokies' win streak hits six with 4-1 win Saturday night - Tennessee Smokies
- Tennessee wins over Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Suns Blank Stars in Series Opener - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Cousins Carries Suns to Close Win Over Stars - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears, Barons Rained Out at Regions Park - Mobile BayBears
- D-Jaxx and Lookouts are rained out on Saturday night - Jackson Generals
- Carrera reinstated from DL, Johnson to Single-A High Desert - Jackson Generals
- Saturday's Game Called Due to Rain - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biscuits game rained out Saturday night - Montgomery Biscuits
- Braves-Biscuits rained out Saturday - Mississippi Braves
- Suns pitcher involved in Marlins trade - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Suns transactions for August 1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Mudcats transactions for August 1 - Carolina Mudcats
- Jennings Heads to Durham - Montgomery Biscuits
- Braves take series with 10th inning, 5-4 win over Jaxx - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.