Cousins Carries Suns to Close Win Over Stars
Nic Ungs spun six scoreless innings while Scott Cousins knocked in the only run of the game and prevented Huntsville from tying the score in the eighth inning in Jacksonville's 1-0 victory Saturday night in the opener of a five-game set at the Baseball Grounds in Florida. The Suns won for a eleventh time in their last 12 games to improve to 25-11 in the second half and push their lead over idle Birmingham to four and a half games in the South Division, while the Stars dropped a fifth straight game to fall to 14-22 in the half and 52-53 overall. Huntsville has been held to five runs in 42 innings during their losing streak and has been blanked twice in that span.
The teams played three scoreless innings before rain halted action for 53 minutes. Stars' starter Mike Jones did not return after the rain delay, having thrown three hitless innings, walking two and fanning three. Bobby Bramhall took over in the fourth and walked the leadoff man Mike Stanton, who advanced to second base on a wild pitch and scored on a one-out single by Cousins, who drove in his 56th run of the season.
Bramhall singled with two outs in the fifth and moved to third base on an Adam Stern ground rule double but the rally fizzled when Shane Justis was called out on strikes to end the inning. Ungs retired the side in order in the sixth, the third time he had done so, to close his performance, allowing four hits, walking two and striking out a season-best seven to improve to 7-2. He has thrown 12 scoreless innings in two starts against the Stars, for whom he pitched and won four times in seven starts last season.
Bramhall was lifted after three innings, allowing a pair of hits, walking two and matching a season-high with six strikeouts. He suffered the loss, his first since July 6, to fall to 4-7. Jay Voss worked a perfect seventh inning before Kasey Olenberger opened the eighth inning on the hill for the home team. Stern singled with one out, moved to second base on a two-out single by Anderson and was gunned down at the plate on a one-hop throw from Cousins on a Lucroy single. Matt Peterson retired the Stars in order in the ninth inning to earn his league-best 26th save in 29 opportunities.
The series continues Sunday afternoon with Huntsville right-hander Josh Wahpepah taking the hill against Suns' right-hander Brad Stone. Coverage of the game begins at 3:50 pm central time and can be heard through the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 1, 2009
- Smokies' win streak hits six with 4-1 win Saturday night - Tennessee Smokies
- Tennessee wins over Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Suns Blank Stars in Series Opener - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Cousins Carries Suns to Close Win Over Stars - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears, Barons Rained Out at Regions Park - Mobile BayBears
- D-Jaxx and Lookouts are rained out on Saturday night - Jackson Generals
- Carrera reinstated from DL, Johnson to Single-A High Desert - Jackson Generals
- Saturday's Game Called Due to Rain - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biscuits game rained out Saturday night - Montgomery Biscuits
- Braves-Biscuits rained out Saturday - Mississippi Braves
- Suns pitcher involved in Marlins trade - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Suns transactions for August 1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Mudcats transactions for August 1 - Carolina Mudcats
- Jennings Heads to Durham - Montgomery Biscuits
- Braves take series with 10th inning, 5-4 win over Jaxx - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.