Braves take series with 10th inning, 5-4 win over Jaxx
PEARL, MISS. (July 31, 2009) - Brandon Hicks' RBI single in the bottom of the tenth dooms the Diamond Jaxx (18-17) as the Braves (17-18) win Friday, 5-4 and take the series. Hicks drove in two runs in the game and went 3-for-5 for the M-Braves. The Jaxx drop their 12th series of the season and second one run game of the series. The Jaxx made two come-backs in the game, but it was not enough on Friday night. In the loss for the Jaxx, Matt Mangini goes 3-for-4 and Travis Garcia finishes 2-for-5 with a double. Garcia has hit in 10 of his last 11 outings.
Mississippi first baseman, Freddie Freeman drove home Jason Heyward with a two out double in the third inning. Heyward singled with two outs against Nick Hill and scored from first on the double from Freeman.
West Tenn squandered a chance in the first, leaving a runner at third but scored two in the second. David Espinosa brought home Johan Limonta with a fielders choice ground ball and Mel Stocker layed down a safety squeeze to plate Travis Garcia. The Jaxx took a 2-1 lead in the second inning.
Jason Heyward drilled another two out double against West Tenn in the third inning, driving home Travis Jones, evening the game at two each. Heyward has six RBI in the series and 19 in his first 23 games at Double-A.
The Braves scored two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to take a 4-2 lead, but the Jaxx tied the game up in the seventh. While facing Braves reliever Brett Butts, Greg Halman drew a bases loaded walk and Marshall Hubbard plated Mel Stocker with a sacrifice fly knotting the game at 4-4.
Jaxx starter, Nick Hill dealt six innings in the no decision. Hill surrendered four runs on nine hits while striking out three and walking one. Ricky Orta dealt two scoreless innings in the loss for the Diamond Jaxx.
Brandon Hicks ripped an RBI single in the bottom of the tenth scoring Willie Cabrera giving the Braves a 5-4 victory.
Craig Kimbrel (1-0) earned his first Double-A win in his debut with the M-Braves tossing two scoreless innings. Joe Newby (0-1) takes the loss, allowing the RBI single by Hicks in the ninth.
A battle at the top of the North Division begins Saturday night at AT&T Field in Chattanooga. The Diamond Jaxx will send out RHP Luis Munoz (4-5, 4.48) to make the start in game one against the Lookouts. Chattanooga's starter for Saturday night is to be determined. The Jaxx took three out of five from Chattanooga back in late May during the only series at Pringles Park.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 1, 2009
- Smokies' win streak hits six with 4-1 win Saturday night - Tennessee Smokies
- Tennessee wins over Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Suns Blank Stars in Series Opener - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Cousins Carries Suns to Close Win Over Stars - Huntsville Stars
- BayBears, Barons Rained Out at Regions Park - Mobile BayBears
- D-Jaxx and Lookouts are rained out on Saturday night - Jackson Generals
- Carrera reinstated from DL, Johnson to Single-A High Desert - Jackson Generals
- Saturday's Game Called Due to Rain - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biscuits game rained out Saturday night - Montgomery Biscuits
- Braves-Biscuits rained out Saturday - Mississippi Braves
- Suns pitcher involved in Marlins trade - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Suns transactions for August 1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Mudcats transactions for August 1 - Carolina Mudcats
- Jennings Heads to Durham - Montgomery Biscuits
- Braves take series with 10th inning, 5-4 win over Jaxx - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- 2-For-2: the Ballpark at Jackson Wins Pro Field of the Year Again
- D-Backs Tap Blake Lalli to Manage Generals in 2019
- Shadrack Christmas Wonderland Back at the Ballpark
- Generals Announce Staff Promotions and Additions
- Cheer on the Champs: League Champion Generals Release 2019 Schedule