FIRE FALLS IN FIRST GAME: The Fire lost their first game of the season 57-52 to Boise on Friday night. The game was highlighted offensively by the return of Demetrius Forney who found the end zone three times on the ground and rushed for 25 yards. Tiger Jones also turned in an outstanding all around performance catching eight passes for 114 yards and a touchdown. Jones also returned six kicks for 71 yards. Defensively rookie Jerome Jones, who played his college ball at Eastern Kentucky, recorded five tackles (3U, 4A), one and half tackles for a loss, a sack and a forced fumble.
af2 RECORD SET: Fire defensive back Matt Forbes set the af2's all-time interception record in Friday's game. Forbes picked off a pass in the third quarter and returned it 38 yards for a touchdown to give him 28 career interceptions. Forbes broke former Fire defensive back Arkee Thompson's record.
TEAM RECORD SET: Demetrius Forney's 2.5 yards per carry in Friday's game set a team record for yards per carry. Forney also upped is career touchdown rushing total to 34, also a team record.
FIRE TO TAKE ON WILDCATS: The Fire will travel south to Albany, GA this weekend to take on the South Georgia Wildcats. South Georgia won last week 47-31 over Arkansas. South Georgia head coach Derek Stingley and Fire head coach Tommy Johnson were teammates with the Albany Firebirds in the late 90's. The Fire is 1-0 all-time against the Wildcats, winning 48-46 on April 15, 2005 in Freedom Hall.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 2, 2007
- Copperheads Ready For Houston Debut - Texas Copperheads
- Join Copperheads Crazy Crue For Florida - Texas Copperheads
- Renegades Weekly - Lubbock Renegades
- Albany Conquest games to air on WVCR - Albany Firebirds
- Steamwheelers Coach's Show to Air Tuesdays on Fox Sports Radio 1230 AM - Quad City Steamwheelers
- Same Game, New Name - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Smoke Signals - Louisville Fire