Smith Earns Accolade After 1st Goal
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - It was rookie full back Kyle Smith's 20th minute assist and 38th minute goal that led Louisville City FC's (7-1-3, 24 points) to silencing Charleston Battery on Saturday. LouCity's 2-0 victory shattered the Battery's 29-match home unbeaten run while extending Louisville City's 10-match (all-competitions) unbeaten run and five-match USL shutout streak.
The first-year professional was named to the USL Team of the Week for Week 10, the league announced on Tuesday. It's his first league recognition and the 12th for Louisville City.
"It's great," Smith said. "I'm excited to have scored my first professional goal, to have assisted on George (Davis IV)'s goal early in the game and to have kept the good results coming. The team is playing so well right now and I'm happy to have helped."
On his assist, Smith raced to the endline before searing a throughball across the 18-yard box, where an unmarked Davis was waiting to score with a shot inside the near post.
Smith's goal was the result of a messy corner kick that bounced around a crowded 18-yard box before finding Kyle Smith. His shot came off clean and into the back of the net via the upper-corner.
USL Team of the Week
GK - Max Crepeau, FC Montreal: Crepeau recorded 10 saves, including a penalty kick, to preserve Montreal's first win of the season in Richmond.
D - Josh Suggs, Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC: Suggs put in another strong performance with the assist on the opening goal, and solid defense against his former Orange County teammates.
D - Coady Andrews, OKC Energy FC: Andrews scored what proved to be the game-winner as Energy FC extended its undefeated streak to seven games last Tuesday night.
D - Joe Farrell, Rochester Rhinos: Farrell scored both goals, including a stoppage-time equalizer, as the Rhinos earned a 2-2 draw with Bethlehem.
M - Ricardo Velazco, Real Monarchs SLC: Velazco scored a pair of outstanding goals to rally Real back from a two-goal deficit on the road against Vancouver.
M - Kyle Smith, Louisville City FC: Smith scored his first professional goal, and also had an assist, as Louisville handed Charleston its first home defeat in the USL in more than two years.
M - Ryo Fujii, LA Galaxy II: Fujii scored a pair of good goals, and was solid in the center of the midfield as Los Dos took a 4-1 win against Arizona.
M - Pierre Da Silva, Orlando City B: The former U.S. U17 international scored his first professional goal, and also recorded the assist on OCB's winner against Charlotte.
M - Mael Corboz, Wilmington Hammerheads FC: Corboz led Wilmington's comeback from a halftime deficit in Toronto, and scored the game-winner with seven minutes to go.
F - Jack McBean, LA Galaxy II: The Galaxy II's captain struck twice to move to 11 goals this season, and also added an assist in Los Dos' victory against Arizona.
F - Irvin Herrera, Saint Louis FC: Herrera earned a second consecutive selection as his superlative finish gave Saint Louis FC a 1-1 draw with Rio Grande Valley on Sunday.
Bench: Mitch Hildebrandt (CIN), Brett Levis (VAN), Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla (MTL), Jose Escalante (RGV), Andrew Wiedeman (CIN), Villyan Bijev (POR), Harry Williams (SAC)
Louisville City will head back on the road to face Indy Eleven on June 1 (7:30 p.m.) in a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup fixture. A return to USL play will see LouCity visit Orlando City B on June 5 before returning to Slugger Field on June 11 to host Wilmington Hammerheads (7:30 p.m.).
Images from this story
Louisville City FC Full Back Kyle Smith
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 31, 2016
- U.S. Open Cup Challenge Could Give Arizona United a Boost - Phoenix Rising FC
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC vs Kitsap Pumas - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL's 14-Team Field Set for Third Round of U.S. Open Cup - USL
- FCC Third in USL Standings; Travel to Tampa Bay Rowdies, Host Richmond Kickers - FC Cincinnati
- City Islanders Travel to Chattanooga for U.S. Open Cup Third Round - Penn FC
- Kickers Travel to Fort Lauderdale Wednesday - Richmond Kickers
- Hammerheads Advance to Round Three in 2016 Open Cup - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Smith Earns Accolade After 1st Goal - Louisville City FC
- Hildebrandt, Wiedeman Voted to USL Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Herrera Named to USL Team of the Week - Saint Louis FC
- Real Monarchs' Velazco Named USL Player of the Week - USL
- Preview: Saint Louis FC Hosts Minnesota United in 3rd Round of U.S. Open Cup - Saint Louis FC
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC Travels to Face Des Moines Menace in U.S. Open Cup Third Round - San Antonio FC
- Delicate to Undergo Surgery June 3 - Richmond Kickers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- Louisville City FC to Face Hartford Athletic in 2019 USL Home Opener on Saturday, March 23
- Louisville City FC Scores Forward Lucky Mkosana
- Louisville City FC Inks Defender Taylor Peay
- Louisville City FC Hires Mario Sanchez as Director of Youth Development and Community Relations
- Louisville City FC Releases Statement on the Passing of Founder Wayne Estopinal