Sixers Fall 6-5 to Storm in Club's First Extra-Inning Contest
Lake Elsinore, CA- The Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino played in their first extra-inning contest of 2018 on Wednesday at Lake Elsinore and fell in ten innings to the Lake Elsinore Storm 6-5. Lake Elsinore's Taylor Kohlwey, who began the bottom of the tenth at second base pursuant to new MILB rules, scored on Nate Easley's RBI single to right field against 66ers' reliever Kyle Halbohn (1-1).
The Sixers (6-8) opened the top of the tenth with Jonah Todd at second signifying the first runner automatically placed in scoring position. After searing himself into the annals of history, he was ruled out on a questionable call at third base on a bunt play. Inland Empire manager Ryan Barba also made history on the play as he was ejected for the first time in his managerial career arguing the decision. The 66ers would not score. Buddy Reed had four hits for the second consecutive game for Lake Elsinore (6-8) but left the game in the seventh with an injury; Reed had 11 hits in the series including four doubles and three homers. Wil Myers, on MLB injury-rehab homered off Sixers starter Alex Klonowski who got a no-decision after giving Inland Empire it's longest start of the year, seven innings. Storm starter Reggie Lawson allowed no earned runs in five innings. David Bednar (1-0) got the win with two innings of one-hit ball striking out five. Luis Torrens had three hits for the Storm. Jack Kruger was 2-for-4 with a double, a walk and a stolen base in the loss for IE.
The 66ers open a home series versus Lancaster on Thursday at 7:05 pm. The contest can be heard live at 66ers.com.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from April 19, 2018
- Ports to Host Star Wars Weekend During Second Homestand - Stockton Ports
- Sixers Fall 6-5 to Storm in Club's First Extra-Inning Contest - Inland Empire 66ers
- Taylor Gives Nuts Third Walk-Off Win on Homestand - Modesto Nuts
- Lancaster Falls In Finale To Rancho - Lancaster JetHawks
- Bannon with Three Jacks in Rancho's Win on Wednesday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Nuts Rally in Ninth, Beat Ports 6-5 - Stockton Ports
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inland Empire 66ers Stories
- Inland Empire 66ers to Host 2019 California League All-Star Game
- Inland Empire 66ers Transformation into Los Cucuys de San Bernardino Honored as One of Best in Minor League Baseball
- Elmore Sports Group Named Organization of the Year
- Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino and Los Angeles Angels Extend Player Development Contract Through 2022
- 66ers Season Ends on Wrong End of Slugfest, Sweep