Sir Lance Shuts Out Rio Grande Valley 1-0 in SO
Lubbock, Tx - It was a goaltending dual at the Lubbock Municipal Coliseum Saturday night, as both Lance Leslie of the Lubbock Cotton Kings and Evan Lindsay of the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees were flawless during the regulation and the five-minute overtime portion, forcing the game to be decided in the shootout. It was there that Leslie stopped all four Rio Grande Valley shootout attempts and prevented the Killer Bees from finding an equalizer to Mike Brolsma's game-winning shootout goal in a 1-0 shootout win for the Kings. The win (24-27-4) moves the Kings ten standing points back from the Bees with nine games remaining, and it was their first two-game winning streak since December 2nd.
It was a tale of two periods to open the game, but not based on goals. Rio Grande Valley out-shot the Cotton Kings 14-5 in the opening frame, but the Cotton Kings returned the favor in the second period out-shooting the Bees 20-9. After the dust cleared though, the game was still scoreless through 40 minutes of play.
The third period and overtime session was back and fourth forcing the game to be decided in a shootout. Leslie, who was activated prior to the game after missing five games due to an injury, took over in the shootout and kept the goal sealed off, while the Kings received shootout goals from Mike Brolsma and Josh Anderson. The 34-save shutout performance was his 17th of his career, seventh as a Kings member and second against Rio Grande Valley in his career. Lindsay suffered the OT loss stopping 40 shots. Each team was scoreless on the man advantage, as Rio was 0 for 3 while Lubbock went 0 for 4.
Lubbock hits the overnight trail to Corpus Christi to face the Rayz Sunday evening at 5 PM from the AmericanBank Center.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 11, 2006
- Kings Rob Rayz 2-1 in OT - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Eagles Clinch Third Straight Division Title - Colorado Eagles
- Dominant first period sets tone for RiverKings win - Mississippi RiverKings
- Sir Lance Shuts Out Rio Grande Valley 1-0 in SO - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Bucks Beat Jackalopes 4-1 - Laredo Bucks
- Christian Nets 52nd Goal of the Season but Hounds Fall 5-1 in Memphis - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Amarillo Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Eagles rout Brahmas, 8-0 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview vs. Rio Grande Valley - Lubbock Cotton Kings