Simpson Agrees to One-Year AHL Contract with Amerks
(Rochester, NY) - Rochester Americans General Manager Randy Sexton announced today that the team has signed forward Wayne Simpson to a one-year American Hockey League contract.
Simpson, 28, joins the Amerks after spending last season with the AHL's Hershey Bears, where he finished third on the team in scoring with 42 points (14+28) while appearing in all 76 games. A native of Boxborough, Mass., Simpson has appeared in 224 career AHL games with Hershey, Providence and Portland, totaling 128 points on 39 goals and 89 assists while also adding 15 points (5+10) in 20 Calder Cup Playoff contests.
Simpson also played two seasons with South Carolina Stingrays, collecting 96 points (38+58) in 131 ECHL games and finishing second on the team in scoring in both years. During the 2014-15 campaign, Simpson set an ECHL postseason scoring record when he amassed 38 points (13+25) in 27 games, leading the Stingrays to an Eastern Conference championship and an appearance in the 2015 Kelly Cup Finals.
Prior to turning pro, the 5-foot-11, 195-pound forward played four years at Union College, recording 115 points (56+59) 159 career games for the Dutchmen.
Rochester opens its 63rd American Hockey League season at home on Friday, Oct. 5 against the Charlotte Checkers at The Blue Cross Arena. Amerks 2018-19 Season Ticket Memberships, which start as low as just $12 per game, are on-sale now. Full-season ticket member benefits include, but are not limited to, Riverside Club VIP Room access with Amerks Alumni, family meet and greet and annual Skate with the Players event, an exclusive preseason Ice Breaker Party and Chalk Talk with the Amerks coaching staff, your very own Season Ticket Member ID and Discount Card and much more. For more information, visit www.amerks.com/seasontickets or call 1-855-GO-AMERKS.
Images from this story
Forward Wayne Simpson with the Hershey Bears
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from August 16, 2018
- Reign Announce Timing Change for February 10 - Ontario Reign
- Admirals to Host Chicago in Pre-Season Action September 29 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Chicago Wolves Set Exhibition Game for September 29 - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Release 2018-19 Promotional Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Sign Olsen and Brown to AHL Deals - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins' New Assistant Equipment Manager Named - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Roadrunners Announce Adrian Denny as the New "Voice of the Roadrunners" - Tucson Roadrunners
- Monsters Community Fund Donates 500 Youth Hockey Helmets to Monsters Certified Learn to Play Programs - Cleveland Monsters
- Andrew Stegehuis Named Amerks Equipment Manager - Rochester Americans
- T-Birds to Host Providence in Preseason Action September 30 - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Simpson Agrees to One-Year AHL Contract with Amerks - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Amerks Announce 2018 Training Camp Schedule
- Blue Cross Arena at the Rochester War Memorial Unveils New Policy Changes, Amenities for 2018-19 Season
- Sabres Announce 2018 Preseason Broadcast Schedule
- Amerks Sign Four to AHL Contracts
- Sabres Make Prospects Challenge Transactions