Simmons Shines as Swarm Conclude Single-Site Season
(ORLANDO, F.L.) - The Greensboro Swarm's, the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets, single-site finale came to a dramatic conclusion as Kobi Simmons knocked down critical free throws in the final moments to earn the victory, 109-105, over the Agua Caliente Clippers (Los Angeles Clippers affiliate) on Saturday at HP Field House at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort. Greensboro leaves Orlando, Florida, with a 5-10 record overall.
The back-and-forth game came down to the final minutes as Greensboro and Agua Caliente were tied at 105 with 1:08 left in the fourth quarter. Simmons was fouled away from the play on the ensuring inbound and made the penalty free throw to give Greensboro the final lead of the game. A defensive stop and a couple Clippers fouls allowed Simmons to make three more free throws and secure the Swarm win.
Simmons finished with a team-high 23 points to go with nine assists and five rebounds in 37 minutes. The entire Swarm starting lineup scored 10-plus points as Nick Richards (17 points, 12 rebounds, five blocks); Xavier Sneed (17 points, nine rebounds, four assists); Nate Darling (17 points) and KJ McDaniels (15 points, seven rebounds) joined Simmons. For Richards, it was his fifth double-double in nine games.
The Clippers had the game's leading scorer, Jordan Ford, who had 27 points and eight assists. Emmitt Williams and Malik Fitts both added 21 points. Williams also had 11 rebounds for a double-double. James Palmer Jr. had 14 points as well, while Emanuel Terry had a game-high 17 rebounds.
Overall the close game had 25 lead changes. Greensboro (45 percent) and Agua Caliente (43 percent) had similar shooting performances as well.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 6, 2021
- Paul Reed Named to All-NBA G League First Team, All-Rookie Team and All-Defensive Team - Delaware Blue Coats
- Simmons Shines as Swarm Conclude Single-Site Season - Greensboro Swarm
- Ford Scores 27 but Clips Drop Finale to Swarm - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Spurs Close Regular Season, Prepare for Playoff - Austin Spurs
- Vipers to Begin Playoff Play against Santa Cruz - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Delaware Blue Coats to Play First-Ever Playoff Game on Monday at 8:15 p.m. Et against Austin Spurs - Delaware Blue Coats
- Blue Falls to Warriors in Overtime - Oklahoma City Blue
- Rockets Recall Porter Jr. and Martin from Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Warriors Beat the Blue in Overtime, 113-103 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Charge Fall to Nets in Season Finale - Canton Charge
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Greensboro Swarm, PNC Bank Team up for Third Season to Support Guilford Child Development
- Hornets Recall Vernon Carey Jr. and Nick Richards from Greensboro Swarm
- Simmons Shines as Swarm Conclude Single-Site Season
- Greensboro Drops Close Game to Fort Wayne
- Greensboro Swarm Fall to Lakeland Magic