Shamrox Player McGlone Donates Game's Salary
Hoffman Estates, Ill. March 22, 2007 - Chicago Shamrox Forward Rookie Bill McGlone announced today that he will be donating his game's salary for the Saturday, March 24 game against the Philadelphia Wings to the Headstrong Foundation, which help funds cancer research and is McGlone's tribute to Nick Colleluori, who passed away from non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma back in November of 2006.
"Nick was truly an inspiration to me and others," said Bill McGlone. "He never complained about anything. He was an all-American boy that worked hard in everything he did. He had his head on straight and everyone knew that he was going to make a difference in peoples lives, which he did."
Colleluori, who played lacrosse at Hofstra University, was a teammate of McGlone in both lacrosse and football while they both attended Ridley High School in Ridley, Pennsylvania. Colleluori also was on the wrestling team as well. While in high school, Colleluori was named to All-Southeastern Pennsylvania, All-Central and All-Area teams in lacrosse and ended up attending Hofstra University where he played lacrosse and started in all 16 games his freshman year.
This past November, Colleluori lost the 14 month battle to non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma leaving behind his parents, his three brothers and his fiancée, who presented him a wedding band shortly before he passed away.
"I am donating my salary for the Philadelphia game on Saturday to the Headstrong Foundation on behalf of Nick," McGlone said. "Even at the end of his remarkable life, Nick was more concerned with everyone else and how they were feeling. I hope that this donation will keep the story of Nick's memory and what a great person he was."
McGlone will be performing the honorary ball drop at the Philadelphia Wings Home Game this Saturday, which is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m. EDT at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in honor of his donation and the legacy of Nick.
The Chicago Shamrox return home this Sunday to play against the New York Titans at 3:00 p.m. CDT at the Sears Centre. Every fan in attendance will receive a Dance Team photo courtesy of Irving Press. Scheduled to perform at half-time is the Chicago Shamrox Junior Dance Team. Prior to Sunday's game, the NYPD and FDNY lacrosse teams will take part in a charity lacrosse game scheduled to begin at Noon. When ordering tickets, every person who says "Battle of the Badges," $5 will go to the New York Police & Fire Widows' & Childrens' Fund. Tickets are available by calling the Shamrox ticket office at 877-SHAMROX or by visiting www.chicagoshamrox.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from March 22, 2007
- Knighthawks can clinch playoff berth this weekend - NLL
- Shamrox Player McGlone Donates Game's Salary - Chicago Shamrox
- Gary Rosyski named Overall and Offensive Player of the Week - San Jose Stealth
- Stealth set tempo with "Festival of Speed" - San Jose Stealth
- Rock head to Minnesota to face Swarm this weekend - Toronto Rock
- Colorado clinches playoff berth, Rochester can clinch this weekend - NLL
- Roughnecks add Local Boy to Active Roster - Calgary Roughnecks
- Three to represent Jax on Team USA - Portland Lumberjax
- Minnesota Swarm Signs D Kyle Ross to Contract - Minnesota Swarm
- New York Titans Face Rochester Knighthawks Saturday - Orlando Titans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.