Sellout Crowd Sees Legion FC Fall in Inaugural Season Home Opener
BIRMINGHAM, AL - Birmingham Legion FC's inaugural season in the USL Championship started off with a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Bethlehem Steel FC at BBVA Compass Field on Sunday night. After the game was postponed from Saturday to Sunday, an afternoon of partly cloudy, but dry, weather led to the first sellout at BBVA Compass Field.
Legion FC came into the match full of energy and excitement, feeding off of the announced 5,807 in attendance, but the first half ended 0-0. The home side only finished the first half with one more shot than the visitors, five to four, and won four corners to Bethlehem's zero, but could not find an opening goal.
The best chance in the first half was an opener header in the box by Daigo Kobayashi that went just wide of the far post after a quality cross from Daniel Johnson down the left side.
Legion FC continued to control the tempo of the match in the second half, with Daniel Johnson and Prosper Kasim steadily getting into dangerous areas on the ball at the top of the box, but despite outshooting BST eight to five in the second half, the ball never found the back of the net.
Steel FC scored first in the 53' minute. Legion FC goalkeeper Trevor Spangenberg's point blank save on the first attempt was put in by Bethlehem forward Kacper Przybylko. After a few dangerous chances by Legon FC, Zach Zandi added a second for the away team, curling in a low shot from the top of the box into the bottom right corner.
Legion FC drove forward in attack until the final whistle, mostly getting the ball wide and serving it in, as they attempted 22 open play crosses to BST's 6.
The team now turns its attention to a home game on Saturday, March 16 as they look to turn things around against Ottawa Fury FC.
53' BST - Kacper Przybylko
68' BST - Zach Zandi
Legion FC - Spangenberg; Avila, Appiah, Fisher, Culbertson; Lopez©, Kobayashi, Johnson, Kasim; Hollinger-Janzen, Hoffman.
Bethlehem Steel FC - Freese; Rayyan, Ofiemu, Jamoi, Real; Chambers©, Chavany, Zandi, Przybylko, Fontana; Diaz.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 10, 2019
- Sellout Crowd Sees Legion FC Fall in Inaugural Season Home Opener - Birmingham Legion FC
- Steel FC earns three points in shutout over Legion FC to start 2019 regular season - Philadelphia Union II
- Sellout Crowds Smash Championship's Week 1 Attendance Record - USL
- Indy Eleven Fall to Saint Louis FC 2-1 - Indy Eleven
- Austin Bold FC Earns Draw in Inaugural Match - Austin Bold FC
- Lights FC Battle Austin Bold FC to Scoreless Draw - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC Open the Season with 1-1 Draw at Home against Real Monarchs SLC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Draws 1-1 with Sacramento Republic FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Foxes Draw 1-1 at New Mexico United in USL Championship Opener - Fresno FC
- Malcolm's First Hat Trick in Switchbacks History Powers Switchbacks FC in Dominant Performance - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- T2 Battle Tulsa Roughnecks FC to 1-1 Road Draw Saturday Night - Portland Timbers 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Legion FC Stories
- Birmingham's BL Harbert International and Legion FC Jo in Forces for International Respect Challenge Tour
- Legion FC Preseason Schedule Information
- BBVA Field-Record Crowd Enjoys Legion FC v. Atlanta United
- Birmingham Legion FC Signs Forward Mensah, Goalkeeper Parker
- Legion FC Fan Experience at Bessie Estell Park - Saturday, February 8