Sellers Helps Isotopes Earn Split in Portland
PORTLAND, Ore. - Justin Sellers went 2-for-4 with a two-run home run and scored the go-ahead run on a seventh-inning sacrifice fly as the Albuquerque Isotopes earned a split of a four-game series with a 5-4 win over the Portland Beavers Monday afternoon at PGE Park.
Sellers homered for the second straight game and fourth time in his last six, taking Josh Geer (9-10) deep in the second. Russ Mitchell and Ivan De Jesus, Jr., drove in runs with sacrifice flies for the Isotopes (60-61).
Craig Stansberry belted his sixth home run in the first inning and Nick Green had two hits and two RBIs for the Beavers (48-75), who were held to five hits.
One of six pitchers on the afternoon for the Isotopes, Jon Link (3-1) struck out four over two scoreless innings of relief to earn the win.
Geer went seven innings for the Beavers, allowing five runs (4 earned) on seven hits and two walks.
Luis Durango walked to start the bottom of the first for the Beavers and Stansberry sent Isotopes starter Charlie Haeger's 1-2 offering off the brick wall behind the left field fence.
Geer had a shaky second inning, yielding a double to John Lindsey and a single to Mitchell to begin the frame. He walked J.D. Closser to load the bases before getting Mike Rivera to ground into a double play that scored Lindsey. Geer then served up his 23rd home run of the season as Sellers hit a towering fly ball to left for a two-run shot.
The Beavers went back in front in the bottom of the third after Haeger was replaced by Josh Lindblom. Mike Baxter doubled to right to start the inning and Wily Mo Peña walked before Lindblom got the first two outs. Lindblom then hit Chris Stewart with a pitch to load the bases and Green cashed in with a two-run single to center.
Albuquerque tied the game at four in the sixth when Xavier Paul ripped a double to right, moved to third on a groundout and scored on Mitchell's sacrifice fly.
Geer stayed in for the seventh and gave up back-to-back one-out singles by Sellers and pinch-hitter Michael Restovich. Trent Oeltjen reached on a throwing error by the first baseman Peña, who tried unsuccessfully to get the runner at second. The Isotopes went up 5-4 on De Jesus's sacrifice fly.
Durango walked again to start the ninth and stole second after two flyouts but Scott Dohmann closed the door on the rally to record his 13th save.
Haeger walked five and gave up two runs in two innings in his first start since being activated from the Isotopes' disabled list.
The Beavers continue the homestand Tuesday night by welcoming in the Round Rock Express to PGE Park for a 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) game.
NOTES: Baxter stole his 19th base of the season in the first inning. He needs one stolen base and four home runs in the season's final 21 games to become the second player in franchise history to have a 20-20 season ... Stansberry needs nine hits to tie Jon Knott for the modern franchise hits record (395) ... Albuquerque scored exactly five runs in each of the four games in the series ... the Beavers were held to their lowest hit total since July 24 at Las Vegas.
Beavers Game File MONDAY'S GAME: Albuquerque 5, Beavers 4 WINNING PITCHER: Link (3-1) LOSING PITCHER: Geer (9-10) SAVE: Dohmann (13) HOME RUNS: Stansberry (6), Sellers (10) TUESDAY'S GAME: Round Rock (Josh Banks: 8-8, 3.86) at Portland (Cesar Ramos: 4-5, 3.53), 7:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 16, 2010
- Redbirds Outlast Sky Sox in 16 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Avoid Sweep, Win 7-6 on Monday - Nashville Sounds
- Aces-Zephyrs Series Finale Washed Out - Reno Aces
- Z's and Aces Finale Postponned Due to Rain - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sellers Helps Isotopes Earn Split in Portland - Portland Beavers
- Gorneault, Lerew Are Player, Pitcher Of The Week - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Lerew Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Gorneault Named PCL Player of the Week - Salt Lake Bees
- Miller Named Rangers Senior Vice President - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Regular Season Ends with Monster Homestand - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Final Home Stand to Send Rosenblatt out in Style - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Carp, Rainiers Swim Past Express 8-5 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss