Second Half Comeback Gives Arkansas First Win of Season
(North Little Rock, AR) - Arkansas Twisters Head Coach Chris Siegfried said he was ready to fire himself during halftime after the Twisters found themselves down 20-0 during the intermission against Corpus Christi. He found himself celebrating after the Twisters outscored the Sharks 39-7 in the second half and pull away with a 39-27 victory and the Twisters' first win of the af2 season.
Arkansas scored on it opening drive to pull within 20-6. Corpus Christi quarterback Brian Villanueva was intercepted by Tito Hannah and returned for a touchdown. The extra point pulled the Twisters within 20-13.
Villanueva was intercepted by Tracy Belton on the next series. Arkansas turned it into points when Kyle Rowley found Jon Schoonover on a 33 yard completion for a touchdown and the extra point tied the game at 20 apiece.
Arkansas would continue to challenge Corpus Christi when the Twisters attempted and recovered an on-side kick. The Twisters scored on the ensuing drive after Rowley found Jamaal Perry for a touchdown to complete a 26-0 run to give Arkansas its first lead of the game. Corpus Christi scored its only touchdown of the second half when Villanueva found Ivory McCann for a 35 yard strike and the extra point gave the Sharks the lead at 27-26.
The Sharks seemed to re-take control of the game when the defense stopped the Twisters on fourth down and drove down inside the five yard line. But Villanueva fumbled the ball at the goal line on a quarterback keeper and the Twisters drove 48 yards for the touchdown. Perry scored on the two point conversion to give the Twisters the lead for good. McCann was tackled for a safety on the ensuing kickoff return, and Arkansas added a field goal after the free kick to end the Sharks' attempts at a comeback.
Rowley finished the game by completing 22 of 34 pass attempts for 252 yards and four touchdowns. Schoonover finished with game highs of 11 catches for 122 yards and three touchdowns. Belton added an interception, a fumble recovery and five total tackles on defense. Villanueva finished the game 15 of 32 for 153 yards and two total touchdowns. Jonathan Graham led the Sharks with eight catches for 69 yards.
The Twisters earned its first win of the season and return home to Alltel Arena to play Amarillo on Saturday, April 26.
FORWARD MOTION: The Twisters return home to play Amarillo on Saturday, April 26th.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from April 24, 2008
- Tailgate Party On May 4th To Benefit Elliot Hospital Pediatric Emergency Department - Manchester Wolves
- Hair Today and Gone Tomorrow - Louisville Fire
- Manchester Wolves Make Roster Change; Take On The Pioneers On Saturday Night - Manchester Wolves
- May 31st Game Time Changed - Spokane Shock
- Meet Your Peoria Pirate Players While You Dine - Peoria Pirates
- Burn Welcome Camp Rainbow Gold To Game On Saturday - Boise Burn
- 'Stormers Aim to Make it Two in a Row Saturday - Iowa Barnstormers
- Thunder Add some Lightning - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Second Half Comeback Gives Arkansas First Win of Season - Arkansas Diamonds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.